When do I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the end of spring 2003, I would have finished all of my pre-med requirements. When do I take the MCATs? How does that work out in terms of waiting for admission, interviewing, and deciding whether or not to attend grad school? It seems as if time wouldn't fall into place like it did when I graduated HS and went to college.

Members don't see this ad.

If you take the MCAT in April, 2003, you will be ahead of the game. You will have a bit of an advantage when competing for spots in med school. Then, over the rest of the summer, you can do your AMCAS application and send in your secondaries. Go back to school in the fall, and finish off your degree. Usually grad school applications are due towards the end of December, so you should be well done your med school applications by then. If you don't have time to prepare for the MCAT in April (it's usually around the time of finals), you can do it in August, however, you'll then be doing both grad school applications and med school secondaries at the same time, and you'll generally be behind in the game.

Hope this is what you are looking for.... :D

It depends if you are applyig next year or not.

If you are applying next year (a.k.a beginning this june) then seriously consider taking the MCAT in April. You will not have to wait for your August MCAT scores to get to schools and you will have the opportunity to retake the MCAT if you need to.

If you are not applying next year then it depends. Some students like to take it because the classes are fresh in their minds. If you are going to take a lot of upper level bio classes next year you may want to consider waiting taking the MCAT until next april. you will have more information under your belt to help you on the mcat (though some may disagree with this statement it is something to consider)

Hope that helps...

Oh wait I didn't realize you meant April 2003...just push back everything I said one year!! sorry :)