premeds_r_dumb_123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 2, 2017
When would admissions officers review an applicant's IA's? between secondary and II? After the interview?

What is the protocol usually like when they do begin reviewing?

@Goro @LizzyM

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I think it depends upon how the apps ask the question. I'm not familiar with the AMCAS primary, so if there's a check box for bad things, you get screened after receipt of Primary.

You'll definite; get screen after receipt of secondary.

At my school, because we don't prescreen (and I've interviewed people who were suspended a year for cheating), we make our decision on IA in the Adcom meeting.

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I think it depends upon how the apps ask the question. I'm not familiar with the AMCAS primary, so if there's a check box for bad things, you get screened after receipt of Primary.

At my school, because we don't prescreen (and I've interviewed people who were suspended a year for cheating), we make our decision on IA in the Adcom meeting.
It's asked on the AMCAS primary. So, you can't skirt it.

Reactions: Goro
OP
P

premeds_r_dumb_123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 2, 2017

Thanks for the reply.

Can I get your opinion really quick?

I have a 79 LizzyM, strong LoR's and some pretty good EC's and I applied to nearly 30 schools. My IA isn't very severe (non-violent, no academic dishonesty, no alcohol or drug use, no theft). Should I expect late II's? I see people with comparably strong applications to mine already getting II's and I've yet to get a single one. I began submitting secondaries in the middle of July and finished my last one during the last week of July.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for the reply.

I have a 79 LizzyM, strong LoR's and some pretty good EC's and I applied to nearly 30 schools. My IA isn't very severe (non-violent, no academic dishonesty, no alcohol or drug use, no theft). Should I expect late II's? I see people with comparably strong applications to mine already getting II's and I've yet to get a single one. I began submitting secondaries in the middle of July and finished my last one during the last week of July.
Impossible to answer without knowing your school list, the quality of your essays and LORs, and the nature of the IA. YOU may think you have strong LORs, but unless you have read them, you don't know that, do you??

If you wish to share IA details, PM me, and then I can further advise.

IF the IAs are dorm violations, they're trivial.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out IIs merely in chronological order.

OP
P

premeds_r_dumb_123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 2, 2017
Impossible to answer without knowing your school list, the quality of your essays and LORs, and the nature of the IA. YOU may think you have strong LORs, but unless you have read them, you don't know that, do you??

If you wish to share IA details, PM me, and then I can further advise.

IF the IAs are dorm violations, they're trivial.

Schools stratify the apps as they come in and don't send out IIs merely in chronological order.
I'm just going off what my pre-med advisor told me about my essays and LoR's (He reads them all while compiling the committee letter). Maybe they aren't as strong as he said they were. /shrug

Thanks again

gonnif

Only 512 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for the reply.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

1) no applicant should expect anything; at least 80% of thousands of applications at any individual school must be rejected prior to II simply due to only having several hundred interview spots

2) applications may not be evaluated or reviewed in chronological order. Superstar students, feeder schools, linked programs, alumni, URM, and other factors can drive your application forward in the process. Early applicants with lower priority may not be seen until later in the process

3) every school has their own specific process, particularly for something like a IA. There is not a general rule at what point or when IAs will be considered. Any answer here would be almost pure speculation

4) the entire application cycle may have interview invites as late as next March and last Waitlist acceptances will be given out next August.

Last edited:
OP
P

premeds_r_dumb_123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 2, 2017
Rule 1: Take a Breath

1) no applicant should expect anything; at least 80% of thousands of applications at any individual school must be rejected prior to II simply due to only having several hundred interview spots

2) applications may not be evaluated or reviewed in chronological order. Superstar students, feeder schools, linked programs, alumni, URM, and other factors can drive your application forward in the process. Early applicants with lower priority may not be seen until later in the process

3) every school has their own specific process, particularly for something like a IA. There is general rule at what point or when IAs will be considered. Any answer here would be almost pure speculation

4) the entire application cycle may have interview invites as late as next March and last Waitlist acceptances will be given out next August.
I'm really not trying to be arrogant or neurotic. The reason I ask is because I was under the assumption that high GPA and MCAT applicants tend to get the earlier II's. I was mainly asking if it's possible that my IA is holding up the process because my application has to go through an extra review procedure or something.

lpp06

5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2012
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
I'm really not trying to be arrogant or neurotic. The reason I ask is because I was under the assumption that high GPA and MCAT applicants tend to get the earlier II's. I was mainly asking if it's possible that my IA is holding up the process because my application has to go through an extra review procedure or something.
Still way too early for that type of speculation. Barely a fraction of all IIs that will go out have gone out and some schools haven't even started giving them yet.

Even if you are backed up due to an IA review, the time to panic is not now.

OP
P

premeds_r_dumb_123

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
Aug 2, 2017
Still way too early for that type of speculation. Barely a fraction of all IIs that will go out have gone out and some schools haven't even started giving them yet.

Even if you are backed up due to an IA review, the time to panic is not now.
Got it. Thanks.