when do most programs start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abu barney

resident revolutionary
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading in the ECFMG cd that one can register and enter the match without being certified by the ECFMG, you just need step1/2 finished. The trick is that one cannot start a program if matched without being certified. When do most residency programs begin, and how long does it take to earn the blessing of the ECFMG?
:confused:

I graduate in June (2003), wondering if I could start residency the same year...

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Most residency programs begin at the end of June. I have no idea how long it takes to get ECFMG certified.

You need to have steps 1&2, the toefl, and the csa done by Jan 31 for the next match. You send in a copy of you diploma when you get it to ECFMG. I have no idea how long it takes to get the diploma certified. Check out the ECFMG website at www.ecfmg.org

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, you don't need the csa for the match. however, you do need it to enter the program if matched. step1/step2/toefl is what is needed.

From www.NRMP.org:

The NRMP requires that students and graduates of foreign medical schools pass all examinations required for ECFMG certification before they can participate in the Match. ECFMG requires that applicants for certification pass the medical science examinations in the basic medical and clinical sciences, an English language proficiency test, and, if necessary, the Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA?).

Applicants who have not received their report of performance for any of the above examinations may still register for the Match with the NRMP. However, if ECFMG reports that applicants have not met the examination requirements by the Rank Order List deadline, those applicants will be automatically withdrawn from the Match.
Sounds to me they kick your butt out if you haven't taken the CSA in time. Go ahead and wait for the CSA if you want. It's your career and another spot for someone else.

Annette is correct. If you have not completed ALL of the exams toward ECFMG certification by the date of Rank Order List submission, you will automatically be withdrawn from the match.

It can take up to 2 months for ECFMG to certify you. The things that take longer are translations of documents and transmitting your documents back to the country of your medical school. Save yourself some time and submit the application with a pre-paid Global Express mail envelope and ask them to send their documents to your school in that. Otherwise there isn't much you can do to expedite things. Once you get your diploma, submit all your paper work asap.

Good luck. :D