When do most schools get back to you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godawg300

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just asking out of curiosity. I've been complete at all my schools since August 1st and have heard back from exactly half of them. Would it be safe to assume that If I don't hear back from a school by November/December that I have been rejected? What's the longest time that has passed between being completed and receiving an II? I haven't received any rejections yet so I'm just wondering if most schools will tell me as they review or wait until next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just asking out of curiosity. I've been complete at all my schools since August 1st and have heard back from exactly half of them. Would it be safe to assume that If I don't hear back from a school by November/December that I have been rejected? What's the longest time that has passed between being completed and receiving an II? I haven't received any rejections yet so I'm just wondering if most schools will tell me as they review or wait until next year.
Applicants receive a screening score that will determine when and whether they will be contacted for an interview. The schools that have not contacted you either have not screened you or have screened you into an intermediate zone worthy of neither an interview (at this moment), nor rejection.

Reactions: 5 users
Applicants receive a screening score that will determine when and whether they will be contacted for an interview. The schools that have not contacted you either have not screened you or have screened you into an intermediate zone worthy of neither an interview (at this moment), nor rejection.
Is there a way you can find out your screening score? All my applications say is, "Your application is ready for review!" and they've been that way since early July.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, I had no idea it worked that way. I guess that gives me hope that I may still get an interview from one of them. I'm guessing they will want to wait to compare me to other candidates or just interview their most competitive ones first.

I know every school does it differently, but is there a "general formula" for how you come up with a screening score?

I am unconvinced that all this stat crunching has any real value… we've got LizzyM and now this? I think a screening score would be all too subjective at each school in order for it to have any relevance to the whole. Even if you could calculate it to some degree… there is far more at consideration than just stats. While I can't speak for where schools are in terms of when people were complete, I think most are just getting to August if they're even there yet.

This said, I recognize the obsession with trying to find a clue to the rationale.. unfortunately. :)

I am unconvinced that all this stat crunching has any real value… we've got LizzyM and now this? I think a screening score would be all too subjective at each school in order for it to have any relevance to the whole. Even if you could calculate it to some degree… there is far more at consideration than just stats. While I can't speak for where schools are in terms of when people were complete, I think most are just getting to August if they're even there yet.

This said, I recognize the obsession with trying to find a clue to the rationale.. unfortunately. :)
I am confident that the method and manner of screening is different at each school but the necessity for screening is the same.
It is true that there is far more to screening than stats.

I know every school does it differently, but is there a "general formula" for how you come up with a screening score?
I have a standard methodology. I don't know if it helps to explain it since it is idiosyncratic to our school's goals and applicant pool. You would probably come up with something similar if you had to screen thousands of applications!

Reactions: 1 users
I have a standard methodology. I don't know if it helps to explain it since it is idiosyncratic to our school's goals and applicant pool. You would probably come up with something similar if you had to screen thousands of applications!

Without asking you to tell where you work, do you think your school's specific goal is make clear by your mission statement / website?
In general, I'm trying to figure out the "fit" of certain schools from their missions/websites, which can be tough to do (though easier once you interview, I think, though I'd like to figure this stuff out PRE interview if possible).

Wow hearing from half is already pretty good! I've only heard from <20% XD.

Fingers crossed! The cycle is young

Reactions: 1 user
Wow hearing from half is already pretty good! I've only heard from <20% XD.

Fingers crossed! The cycle is young

I consider myself very lucky. I probably applied to too many schools but I have no regrets.

Hope you hear back from some more schools soon.

Without asking you to tell where you work, do you think your school's specific goal is make clear by your mission statement / website?
In general, I'm trying to figure out the "fit" of certain schools from their missions/websites, which can be tough to do (though easier once you interview, I think, though I'd like to figure this stuff out PRE interview if possible).
It would probably be a very strong hint if I answered this question! I can say that it is quite challenging to judge fit from a website, though.

It is always helpful to gather information/see other perspectives! It would not be directly applicable to any school other than your own, but it would still be beneficial.

Members don't see this ad :)
So is the benefit in applying early in that if you're put into the "intermediate pile" that you get your app seen earlier for a possible interview later in the cycle?

So is the benefit in applying early in that if you're put into the "intermediate pile" that you get your app seen earlier for a possible interview later in the cycle?
Two applicants with the same screening score may have very different outcomes depending on when they submit.

I would also imagine that as the cycle goes on, they will gather more and more 'awesome' screening score applicants. So at the beginning of the cycle, they'll pull in the few 'awesome's which have trickled in, and then fill the rest with 'good'. At the end, they'll have more 'awesome's to parse through before pulling in the 'good's...and there will be more 'good's as well, so you have a lower chance of being snagged anyway.

*Disclaimer* I know absolutely nothing, this is just how I picture it in my own head for my own purposes.

Is there a way you can find out your screening score? All my applications say is, "Your application is ready for review!" and they've been that way since early July.
There is probably little to be gained by knowing your score. Depending on the the scoring system and the number that a particular school needs to interview in each stratum, it would be uninterpretable.

I would also imagine that as the cycle goes on, they will gather more and more 'awesome' screening score applicants. So at the beginning of the cycle, they'll pull in the few 'awesome's which have trickled in, and then fill the rest with 'good'. At the end, they'll have more 'awesome's to parse through before pulling in the 'good's...and there will be more 'good's as well, so you have a lower chance of being snagged anyway.

*Disclaimer* I know absolutely nothing, this is just how I picture it in my own head for my own purposes.
The best ones are often submitted early. I haven't had an awesome one in a couple of weeks...

The best ones are often submitted early. I haven't had an awesome one in a couple of weeks...

Hello doc! In your opinion, is it late in the application season already? I made a judgment call to push my MCAT back to August 2 to be more ready for the test, while still being able to apply relatively early in the cycle. Based off the neuroticism of SDN, and the stories by you and others about schools having received more applications than ever at this time point... is it already LATE this cycle?

The reason I ask, is I still have about 15 (!) secondaries to complete. I've been spending a good 2-8 hours / secondary to make sure I do as good as job I can and not just cutting/pasting. At this rate I do about 1 secondary/day. Am I shooting myself in the foot for every extra day I don't submit all my secondaries? Am I too late in the cycle to even have a fighting chance? I always thought September was "average," October was starting to get "late," November was "really late" and anything before September was "early"...

Hello doc! In your opinion, is it late in the application season already? I made a judgment call to push my MCAT back to August 2 to be more ready for the test, while still being able to apply relatively early in the cycle. Based off the neuroticism of SDN, and the stories by you and others about schools having received more applications than ever at this time point... is it already LATE this cycle?

The reason I ask, is I still have about 15 (!) secondaries to complete. I've been spending a good 2-8 hours / secondary to make sure I do as good as job I can and not just cutting/pasting. At this rate I do about 1 secondary/day. Am I shooting myself in the foot for every extra day I don't submit all my secondaries? Am I too late in the cycle to even have a fighting chance? I always thought September was "average," October was starting to get "late," November was "really late" and anything before September was "early"...
If your schools are well chosen, this is still an ok time to send secondaries. We are sending out interviews, albeit at a much slower pace.

If your schools are well chosen, this is still an ok time to send secondaries. We are sending out interviews, albeit at a much slower pace.

Ok, so I gather that it is still sort of average, but bordering on late in the cycle... Oh well, nothing to do but get back to writing secondaries!!

Really? I'd think all the applicants are awesome, for one reason or another. That's what makes medicine so appealing for so many: there's many different personalities needed for different specialities.

Really? I'd think all the applicants are awesome, for one reason or another. That's what makes medicine so appealing for so many: there's many different personalities needed for different specialities.
Yes, they are all above average.

Two applicants with the same screening score may have very different outcomes depending on when they submit.

So, the later in the cycle, the higher the screening score needed to score an interview?

I'm still waiting…

(LOL…I like to tell that joke every year. At least its a joke now; wasn't then)

Hahahah. Sure hope I'm not waiting 10 years from now lol

Seriously, do some schools just never notify you if you are rejected?

Seriously, do some schools just never notify you if you are rejected?

Yes.

Some send individual letters of rejection.

Some send a generic letter, "if you haven't been invited for an interview by X date/all of our interview slots have been offered"

Some never contact you.

Yes.

Some send individual letters of rejection.

Some send a generic letter, "if you haven't been invited for an interview by X date/all of our interview slots have been offered"

Some never contact you.

So just like dating.

1. Specific reason for rejecting you.
2. It's not you, it's me or [insert generic line ]
3. Never returns phone call/texts

Except with option number 3 the normal wait time could be like 2 months before we give up as opposed to like a few days with dating.

Anyone have a list of those schools that never contact you? I feel like I might have applied to some of those schools.

yeah... those schools that never contact you would be good to know. Of all the obsessive lists on SDN, I am completely shocked there isn't one for this! (and of course, now I am left to guessing that 80% of my schools are on it!)

I also agree that every school has to have some sort of methodology just to whittle to manage. But again, understanding that would only apply to that specific school, unlike LizzyM which seems to give you a guesstimation for many. And I like tutoring mostly because I like seeing kids get a subject I love... especially if they were completely lost and confused before. Paid or not, it's rewarding, especially if you've been out of school yourself for awhile. While I don't know how adcoms view where I am in my life, I work full time, volunteer and tutor for fun/cab fare. I've done never really done anything for the purpose of looking good on my future apps. I didn't go through HS that way either. I had good results for being myself, but I admit that although I am thrilled to have 2 II's, I'd much rather have 5 or 6!!! :)

I think most are just getting to August if they're even there yet.
9ce12.jpg

Gyngyn, by "all submitted applications", do you mean that someone who was (hypothetically) complete last Thursday has been screened at your school? Would that person have heard about an interview offer? If you decide not to offer that person an interview, is that person in some kind of hold pile until more applications come in? How common is it for a person whose application is on hold but not rejected to eventually be given an interview offer?

Obviously, answer only what you can.

Gyngyn, by "all submitted applications", do you mean that someone who was (hypothetically) complete last Thursday has been screened at your school? Would that person have heard about an interview offer? If you decide not to offer that person an interview, is that person in some kind of hold pile until more applications come in? How common is it for a person whose application is on hold but not rejected to eventually be given an interview offer?

Obviously, answer only what you can.
Yes, a completed application has been reviewed by a screener and assigned a screening score. If the score was in a stratum in which futher sampling was needed, an interview offer would have been made.
It is common for someone to be offered an invitation well after screening is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a completed application has been reviewed by a screener and assigned a screening score. If the score was in a stratum in which futher sampling was needed, an interview offer would have been made.
It is common for someone to be offered an invitation well after screening is complete.

I remember reading from you that lots of schools ignore Texas applicants. Does that mean if someone has Texas residency, he/she needs a higher screening score than another state residency for an interview?

I remember reading from you that lots of schools ignore Texas applicants. Does that mean if someone has Texas residency, he/she needs a higher screening score than another state residency for an interview?
If a TX candidate is not likely to get a substantial scholarship offer, he is unlikely to get an interview.

If a TX candidate is not likely to get a substantial scholarship offer, he is unlikely to get an interview.
Thanks. At least I had FAP, so it didn't cost anything to apply to out of state schools.

Does this only apply to Texan applicants or are there other states also at a similar disadvantage?

Just TX residents.
I would say 'remember that us CA residents are in the opposite boat and are unlikely to leave you!' but then I remembered that your school is very aware of that situation :p

Welp this thread has convinced me to start getting my stuff together for next year

Reactions: 1 users