when do most surgery residencies start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year student who is planning on matching into surgery. I'm also planning on getting married between graduation and the start of my surgical residency. I want to make sure I have enough time between graduation and residency to have the wedding and go on a honeymoon. Our tentative graduation date is May 20, 2011. When is the first day of most surgery residencies? I've heard from some people that it's July, but I wanted to get an answer from people who actually know. Also, is it the same start date for every program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no hard and fast rule.

We started around 10 days early for orientation, ACLS, ATLS, etc. I've heard of some programs starting in mid June.

You also have to factor in moving especially if you match across the country. If you graduate on May 20, you should have time for a short honeymoon and the move, but there are over 150 surgery programs in the US ALL with different start dates and expectations.

FYI: your status lists you as a pre-med. If you are a med student, you should change it.

Thanks for the reply. I figured they all start on different dates. Let's put it this way: what is the earliest you've heard of orientation starting for a surgery residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. I figured they all start on different dates. Let's put it this way: what is the earliest you've heard of orientation starting for a surgery residency?
As WS commented, all programs are different. Most have some orientation period. The official "residency start" is often July 1st. However, I hear most programs start somewhere during the last 2-3 wks of June for the orientation requirements. There may be hospital requirements in addition to your program's requirement for orientations. While your program's different life-support course requirements may be one thing, the hospital may require more or vice-versa (BCLS/ACLS/PCLS/ATLS/Etc...).

Your best bet is that upon matching, contacting the Program coordinator AND GME office of your program. The dates can vary year to year.

JAD