When do people do a research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am interested in doing a research year, specifically something dealing with health systems in developing countries - but I'm not sure when to do it? I know the Fogarty Research Grant is done between 3rd and 4th years, but I also know there are other programs (I've read about a lot of people doing it between years 2 and 3).

Members don't see this ad.

I think between 3rd and 4th years is a good a time as any. That's when I took my year off and it worked out well. You might need to get your 4th year schedule together sometime in the spring of your research year (specifically 4th year audition electives), so hopefully you would be able to do this wherever you were (or come home for a couple weeks and handle it).

I think between 3rd and 4th years is a good a time as any. That's when I took my year off and it worked out well. You might need to get your 4th year schedule together sometime in the spring of your research year (specifically 4th year audition electives), so hopefully you would be able to do this wherever you were (or come home for a couple weeks and handle it).

That's fine if your school lets you. Most places make you do it between second and third year actually. Probably makes sense because you can do all the basic science in one chunk and then all the rotations in one chunk and have a leisurely paced step 1 study period and then a research year in between.

Members don't see this ad :)
most programs i know of encourage u do do it b/w 2nd and 3rd year, but i think if u really want to do it after ur 3rd year u can too. its really up to u.

I know someone who did a year of research b/t M2 & M3 & they strongly advised against it b/c you forget too much basic science stuff that can actually be useful during 3rd year.

The director of WashU's T32 program told me that he recommends students do the year b/t 3rd & 4th year.