When do people do research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people do research in the summer after m1. Maybe this leads to a poster or publication.

For those that get 5+ pubs, do they do research starting first year? Or finish up projects started in the summer after first year during third year (is there even time to do that?) Or do stuff 4th year (but apps will already be submitted?)

I'm not aiming for 5+ pubs or anything, I was just thinking about it and wondering. People that do that must have super high efficiency with their studies to carve out sufficient research time. Happy Sunday :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

There's no secret, they have the same number of hours in the day as everyone else. If you are efficient with your time it's not hard to carve out a few hours a week even during M3 to spend doing research.

Reactions: 1 users
Part of it is efficiency and part of it is how much you know about doing good research. Just like medicine, showing up to research as an M1 is probably not going to yield much regardless of how hard you work because you don't really know what you're doing. As you get more comfortable with research including the content area, techniques and writing, it gets easier to be efficient. I did a PhD first, and do research in my spare time in med school including while on clinical rotations. I enjoy it more than medicine, so that's why I do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Did it during the school year. Lots of people in my field take a year off tho. It's possible to produce ~10 publications during your first three years. The question is how much are you willing to give up for this? How heart broken will you be if things don't work out? Why won't the hot girls on Bumble freaking date me...wait sorry that should not be in here

Reactions: 1 user