When do predental students typically apply to dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kai_predent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm somewhat new to the predental track-- I have a question that I'm sure is frequently asked that I'm hoping to clarify, so please bear with me.

As a rising junior in college, I'm concerned that I'm going predental somewhat late. I know some of you will be quick to say things to dispel ideas like this (like 'the average age of dental school applicants nowadays is 23'-- at least, that's what somebody said in another thread) but I feel like, compared to my peers, I'm deciding on dentistry relatively late in the game.

I've been warming up to the prospect of a career in dentistry for a year now but I'm still not entirely sure I want to commit to this path. I've been doing some research but don't feel quite ready to fully dive right into the application process. So my questions are:

1. When do prospective dental students typically take the DAT (what months/time of year?) and apply to dental schools? Do most prepare to apply in their junior year?

2. Should I start studying for the DAT this summer/now even if I'm not sure I want to apply this upcoming year?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Between now and August. Many people apply in Junior year so they don't have a gap year. I don't know if it's "most" but I assume so.

Yes, it will give you the time to retake if you don't do well.

Hi all, I'm somewhat new to the predental track-- I have a question that I'm sure is frequently asked that I'm hoping to clarify, so please bear with me.

As a rising junior in college, I'm concerned that I'm going predental somewhat late. I know some of you will be quick to say things to dispel ideas like this (like 'the average age of dental school applicants nowadays is 23'-- at least, that's what somebody said in another thread) but I feel like, compared to my peers, I'm deciding on dentistry relatively late in the game.

I've been warming up to the prospect of a career in dentistry for a year now but I'm still not entirely sure I want to commit to this path. I've been doing some research but don't feel quite ready to fully dive right into the application process. So my questions are:

1. When do prospective dental students typically take the DAT (what months/time of year?) and apply to dental schools? Do most prepare to apply in their junior year?

2. Should I start studying for the DAT this summer/now even if I'm not sure I want to apply this upcoming year?

Thank you!

I decided on dentistry the summer after my sophomore year as well, so you're not too late! Though I did switch over from pre-medical, so the transition wasn't too bad.

1. I took my DAT last summer (summer after my sophomore year). Though I feel like most people take them during their junior or senior years, depending on when they want to apply. At my school we apply either the summer after junior year (me) or after senior year to take a year off.
2. Take it whenever you're ready - your scores will be applicable for a couple years at least I believe?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be shadowing a general dentist before you commit to this field and attempt the DAT.

Some people decide to go into dentistry much later in life (I know someone who is in their early 40s trying to get in) it just means you have some time to think things out and really plan everything out instead of some people who spontaneously jump into it. If anything, I think having a little bit more age helps you write a stronger personal statement.

But to answer your questions:
1. Take the DAT whenever you feel you can put some time into studying for it (usually a month into the summer or winter).
2. I honestly would not study more than 3 months ahead of time.