When do secondaries come???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedyIs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I submit my AMCAS by mid-June, when would the secondaries come?
I know it varies for different schools, but any ballpark answer would be appreciated. I need to tell my profs when they should write the LORs by.
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this might shock the public, what the heck do secondaries mean? is it something like ... second choice?

flame ON! :)

whoa and u have 50+ posts?! secondaries are the SECOND application that most schools have. AMCAS = first common application that all the schools u apply to read, and then they'll send you their INDIVIDUAL secondary application. Questions range from what's your name and address to why do you want to go to this particular school

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted around June 8 last year and I started receiving secondaries as early as the first/second week of July. However, they will all start coming at the same time, so make sure to stay on top of them and not fall behind. Also be cognizent of deadlines for apps such as Northwestern.

jojocola said:
I know this might shock the public, what the heck do secondaries mean? is it something like ... second choice?

I smell troll.

Some secondaries are available online before schools can download your primary application from AMCAS. Hopkins, Baylor, Wash U. St. Louis, Tulane, and Columbia were some I remember from last year, although they may not be up yet.

Robizzle said:
whoa and u have 50+ posts?! secondaries are the SECOND application that most schools have. AMCAS = first common application that all the schools u apply to read, and then they'll send you their INDIVIDUAL secondary application. Questions range from what's your name and address to why do you want to go to this particular school
thanks! heheheh :thumbup:

jojocola said:

When are you applying? You might wanna do a little more research on the whole process before doing anything...

kevster2001 said:
When are you applying? You might wanna do a little more research on the whole process before doing anything...
I just finished my first year of college. I joined this website to further my knowledge about the process and other things(MCATs, etc.). Do you know of a website that can give me information on the steps of applying? Or anything else I should know of the matter?

jojocola said:
I just finished my first year of college. I joined this website to further my knowledge about the process and other things(MCATs, etc.). Do you know of a website that can give me information on the steps of applying? Or anything else I should know of the matter?
See if your college has a prehealth/premed website. They usually list out the process there. If not, you can check my school's.

http://www.aas.duke.edu/trinity/prehealth/

Enjoy

there's a great book by princeton review too, called "planning a life in medicine". it is the best one i have ever seen/read on the stepwise progression and how to handle it with grace and so that you are not just another bucky pre-med. it goes from freshman year to matriculation, lots of handy stuff on asking for letters of rec, your personal statement, etc.