When do the Med schools see our Scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreekPre-Med

GreekPre-Med
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do the Med schools get our Scores and applications. Some are saying July 6, while others are saying July 16. What is right?

Also, when do secondaries start coming in? One week after application? 2 weeks? A month?

Thanks for all of your help

-GreekPre-med

Members don't see this ad.

GreekPre-Med said:
When do the Med schools get our Scores and applications. Some are saying July 6, while others are saying July 16. What is right?

Also, when do secondaries start coming in? One week after application? 2 weeks? A month?

Thanks for all of your help

-GreekPre-med

Mr. Larkin, USF admissions director, confirmed on these boards that the first day they can officially upload the applications is on July 6th. Soon after that the secondaries will start rolling in. However, just because July 6th is the first possible date to look at applications, this does not necessarily mean that some schools will start looking at it on July 6th. Some may and some may not look it right away. It just means that it is the first day that it is officially possible for them to look at it.

gujuDoc said:
Mr. Larkin, USF admissions director, confirmed on these boards that the first day they can officially upload the applications is on July 6th. Soon after that the secondaries will start rolling in. However, just because July 6th is the first possible date to look at applications, this does not necessarily mean that some schools will start looking at it on July 6th. Some may and some may not look it right away. It just means that it is the first day that it is officially possible for them to look at it.

whoa whoa, so this means that even if you submit AMCAS and get it verified by, say, june 10th, it doesn't matter since the schools dont even get to see the app until at least july 6th?? this should at least dispel the obsessive craze that makes people want to submit right away on june 1!! ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy_cavalier said:
whoa whoa, so this means that even if you submit AMCAS and get it verified by, say, june 10th, it doesn't matter since the schools dont even get to see the app until at least july 6th?? this should at least dispel the obsessive craze that makes people want to submit right away on june 1!! ;)
I'm curious about this as well. It would really suck if our apps were given to the schools in bulk with no chronological order. This means that applicants who were really on the ball with things are not discriminated from those who lulled around a while longer...I do not approve! Does someone have a straight forward answer to this question?

crazy_cavalier said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Lois, this isn't my Batman glass. ;)

crazy_cavalier said:

This is what I've been saying all along.

I think June 20 (or something around that) was an excellent day to submit for these reasons. I had more time to quixzillionth-check my app, and still had time to correct AMCAS-reported errors (if there were any) before July 6th, as my app was reviewed by the 25th.

To all you June 1st'ers: If you are really bored, just fill out "practice" essays to last years secondaries (find 'em on SDN), or fill out the current Johns Hopkins or Columbia secondaries, available already online. Heck, you can do them even if you're not applying, if you really want to.

dajimmers said:
Heck, you can do them even if you're not applying, if you really want to.

:laugh: :laugh:

It's not really discriminating, a word a poster above used. Everybody who's application is processed before July 6 is still in such a very early wave of applications that it almost certainly doesn't matter what order they're in. I mean I have a friend who submitted on August 2 and was still in the first interview group at two schools.

tigress said:
:laugh: :laugh:

It's not really discriminating, a word a poster above used. Everybody who's application is processed before July 6 is still in such a very early wave of applications that it almost certainly doesn't matter what order they're in. I mean I have a friend who submitted on August 2 and was still in the first interview group at two schools.

Yeah, the only reason to get it in really early is if you happen to have extraordinary hassles with getting your application processed.

then why did i get this yesterday?

The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC, your results from the April 2005 MCAT. In reviewing your scores the Committee believes that should your other academic and supporting credentials complement these scores you would be a competitive candidate in the application process for the entering class of 2006. Allow me to briefly introduce you to the Medical College of Wisconsin.

blahblahblahblah

The Committee welcomes the opportunity to review your application and supporting credentials. Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 414-456-8246. Mike Istwan
Director of Admissions

wtf?? :confused:

SpeedRacer, we all got it. I think everybody who took the April MCAT was sent that email. In any case, it probably isn't accurate to say that the schools see our scores on July 6; for all we know, they could get them from AAMC now if they wanted to. It's AMCAS that is available on July 6.

tigress said:
SpeedRacer, we all got it. I think everybody who took the April MCAT was sent that email. In any case, it probably isn't accurate to say that the schools see our scores on July 6; for all we know, they could get them from AAMC now if they wanted to. It's AMCAS that is available on July 6.

I didn't get it, but a friend did. I think it was sent out based on MCAT scores. Only people within their MCAT range received it.

dragonmate said:
I'm curious about this as well. It would really suck if our apps were given to the schools in bulk with no chronological order. This means that applicants who were really on the ball with things are not discriminated from those who lulled around a while longer...I do not approve! Does someone have a straight forward answer to this question?

I respectfully disagree. Just because someone doesn't apply as early as someone else doesn't make them lesser of a candidate. Maybe they want to be certain that their application is perfect, whereas someone who submits on June 1 just wants to get rid of it so he can have a nice, relaxing summer.

If AMCAS did give apps to the schools in no chronological order, this would benefit the applicants. That way everyone's application has the same chance to be reviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question. So if schools dont receive our info until July 6, does this mean we shouldnt get our School Recommendation Letters sent out until then since they may not have any of our info on file?

hardy said:
I didn't get it, but a friend did. I think it was sent out based on MCAT scores. Only people within their MCAT range received it.

what is their MCAT range? I didnt receive the e-mail either.

CarFanatic said:
I have a question. So if schools dont receive our info until July 6, does this mean we shouldnt get our School Recommendation Letters sent out until then since they may not have any of our info on file?

My understanding is that you shouldn't send out your letters of recommendation until you are asked to with the secondaries.

beponychick said:
what is their MCAT range? I didnt receive the e-mail either.

hmm...well I think some people in the 28 range got the email. They might not have finished sending them out (there are lots of MCAT takers), or it might have something to do with whether your info was available for release. (?) Just ideas.

greendot said:
My understanding is that you shouldn't send out your letters of recommendation until you are asked to with the secondaries.

This is a problem for those of us with committees who will only send the letters out once.

If people from your school have gotten into med school, I guess the school committee knows how to do things (I hope). I already requested the letters from mine, with a list of schools, but I don't think they're quite ready to send it, anyway. If they do send it in mid or late July, I think this ought to be fine. It would be silly for me to wait until receiving all my secondaries, because I'll get them at different times, and I can only get the LORs sent out once.

tigress

Im in the same boat as you. We have a committee at our school that does the letters and I'm pretty sure they send them out all at once. So should we just let them do what their doing or should we ask them to send them out as soon as possible because your right, waiting for all secondaries does not really make sense since not all schools send them out at the same time, and some wont even send them out until they recieve August MCAT scores.

hardy said:

I got a 36 and I didn't get it

tigress said:
hmm...well I think some people in the 28 range got the email. They might not have finished sending them out (there are lots of MCAT takers), or it might have something to do with whether your info was available for release. (?) Just ideas.

i got a 31 and got it

hardy said:

Yeah I got it. Mine also had a couple of XOXO's at the end, along with the director of admission's home address in case I wanted to "come over, have a few drinks, and get silly." :p

JayQuah said:
Yeah I got it. Mine also had a couple of XOXO's at the end, along with the director of admission's home address in case I wanted to "come over, have a few drinks, and get silly." :p
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

CarFanatic said:
tigress

Im in the same boat as you. We have a committee at our school that does the letters and I'm pretty sure they send them out all at once. So should we just let them do what their doing or should we ask them to send them out as soon as possible because your right, waiting for all secondaries does not really make sense since not all schools send them out at the same time, and some wont even send them out until they recieve August MCAT scores.

The committee at my school makes us give them a request each time we want our committee packet sent out...so they tell us to wait til we've had a request from a school, and then we let the pre-health office know that we need our packet sent, and tell them which school(s) to send it to. So we can do that as often as we like...but they don't just automatically send it unless we request them to.

The whole process does seem a little more complicated than necessary though...

CarFanatic said:
tigress

You should ask them what their policy is. My committee has a form that we send in with the list of schools we've applied to. I think there's an advisor book that lists the rules for each school and what address to send LORs to. I already gave them my list, but I'm not sure when they send out the packet. But like I said, students from my school seem to be successful at getting in, so I guess they know how to do it :p. I think they probably send it out in mid or late July when the composite letter is finished, or when they get the list of schools from us, whichever is first.

SpeedRacer said:
then why did i get this yesterday?

The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) recently received, from the AAMC, your results from the April 2005 MCAT. In reviewing your scores the Committee believes that should your other academic and supporting credentials complement these scores you would be a competitive candidate in the application process for the entering class of 2006. Allow me to briefly introduce you to the Medical College of Wisconsin.

blahblahblahblah

The Committee welcomes the opportunity to review your application and supporting credentials. Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or 414-456-8246. Mike Istwan
Director of Admissions

wtf?? :confused:

MCAT sends out information directly to schools if you authorize them to do so. IF MCW is a numbers-driven school and you got a higher score they may want to get your application going.

I recieved it and got a 33. I have them on my school list and from the area, (MN)

JayQuah said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: