When Do UCs Send out their Financial Aid Packages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supereagles

Spread your wings and fly
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Does anyone have any idea when UCs indicate how much money they are williing to offer their new students. As sad as it might sound, my pick for medical school might come right down to how much financial aid in the form of grants and scholarships I would recieve from schools. UC schools appear to be quite slow and I was wondering if it were possible to obtain a rough estimate of how much money will be available. MAY 15 is fast approaching.

Members don't see this ad.

I specifically asked UCSD if I could get the statement before May 15th and they said expect it in July or August.

It doesn't seem like anyone can choose a school based on the standard need based aid packages.

Unless you were offered a Regent's scholarship or an award with your acceptance letter, I wouldn't expect much in the way of grant-based aid from the UCs. I know this year lots of UCSF students received $4,000 in grant money; $3,500 initially followed by an extra $500 later in the year. This may seem like a paltry sum, however, if you consider the fact that fees were only $16,000 this year that meant $12,000 in fees for in-state residents. If they offer the same thing this year, then you should end up with $18,000 for in-state fees.

Members don't see this ad :)
A.D.O.R. said:
Unless you were offered a Regent's scholarship or an award with your acceptance letter, I wouldn't expect much in the way of grant-based aid from the UCs. I know this year lots of UCSF students received $4,000 in grant money; $3,500 initially followed by an extra $500 later in the year. This may seem like a paltry sum, however, if you consider the fact that fees were only $16,000 this year that meant $12,000 in fees for in-state residents. If they offer the same thing this year, then you should end up with $18,000 for in-state fees.

This is not what I have heard. I've heard that the maximum need based grants are more like 7-8K and should be higher this year due to the fee increase.

Eraserhead said:
This is not what I have heard. I've heard that the maximum need based grants are more like 7-8K and should be higher this year due to the fee increase.

That's cool. What I received and what I heard from other medical students is that we all received around $4,000 in grant money. I would love it if they gave me $7,000+ in grant money next year. All the better.