When Do Waitlists Typically Move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jwalst55

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does most of the waitlist movement occur in May or in Late July/August?? I would think that there would be alot of movement immediately before classes start, but this is just an optimistic assumption. Does anyone know for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know for sure, and it depends on the school, but it seems to me that the greatest amount of movement occurs between late May and mid-July. After that it slows down, but there still is some. I think the reason is that since people can't hold multiple acceptances after May 15th, there is a lot of shuffling around initially since people who were holding multiple acceptances withdraw, causing people to be pulled off waitlists (who then withdraw from somewhere else), which causes a domino effect. It takes awhile for all the spots to get filled, then things settle down a bit. But this is just my impression; I don't really know. I have also heard stories of people getting pulled off waitlists three days before classes start, but I think that's more the exception than the rule.

I would estimate that 75% of the waiting list movement occurs before June 15th. Most schools move quickly to fill available spots as students withdraw at the May 15th deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gee Xaelia, for our sake, I hope you're dead wrong...:(

How many of you guys are still holding a waitlist spot at a school that you would go to over a school you are currently accepted to? If most people are still holding waitlist spots one slot opening up somewhere creates a huge domino effect. That is why I think that it is still possible for considerable movement.

i am also hoping to get off 3 wl...:(. sounds like the chances aren't good.

Don't despair, for July is here! I imagine that July will be a very good month, especially considering that there's still 22 days left. I heard of a lot of people in previous years getting off of waitlists in July, so don't give up hope till the fat admissions officer sings during orientation.

I just got taken off of the Creighton waitlist last week. So movement does occur in July. Just hang in there, and try to have a good summer! I hope everyone gets in somewhere!!!!