When do we start filling out financial aid forms and when is it getting too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya,

I was wondering when we fill out fin-aid forms, whether we are supposed to get them ourselves (FAFSA) or if we're supposed to wait for the schools to send them to us?

Also, what if we haven't decided on a school yet or still waiting to hear from schools? then what??

Thanks for any info
smile.gif

Poet

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Poet
You might try calling the financial aid offices at the schools you've been accepted to and ask them what their procedure is and/or what they suggest. I called NYCOM and they are getting their packects ready to send out. I don't know how it works with applying for scholarships at outside the school. If anyone has info about that one I'd love to know.
By the way, how long has it been since that UNE interview? Have you heard anything?
Good luck with all of this?
Susan

Thanks Susan!! I can't believe I have two acceptances.. I am beyond SHOCKED!!!!!
smile.gif
You will be attending NYCOM right?? drop me an email!! my link is above
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
To determine eligibility and receive aid before the 2000 school year begins you should submit your Federal aid forms (FAFSA) sometime around April 1-15, 2000. Technically, you have through the end of the year in which you are seeking aid to file the forms but if you wait that long you will not receive your money during the school year.

The school should send you a financial aid packet which includes a school aid application form,the school's code that you enter on the FAFSA (also available on the Eduation Department website at www.ed.gov/offices/OPE/Students), a copy of the FAFSA, and any special deadlines the school may have for specific scholarships or loan programs.

Also, the FAFSA can be filed electronically at www.ed.gov/offices/OPE/express.html

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I was accepted to UNECOM in October and recently received financial aid information forms from them. The instructions are very clear-they did a great job on the forms describing what we need to do before matriculation. You should fill out your tax returns first because you'll need this information to fill out the FAFSA. You can estimate, but then you'll have to submit that information later. I would submit the FAFSA before April if I were you. Have you decided if you'll attend NYCOM or UNECOM? Congradulations!!

I was accepted to UNECOM in October and recently received financial aid information forms from them. The instructions are very clear-they did a great job on the forms describing what we need to do before matriculation. You should fill out your tax returns first because you'll need this information to fill out the FAFSA. You can estimate, but then you'll have to submit that information later. They recommend submitting it around March 1st. Have you decided if you'll attend NYCOM or UNECOM? Congradulations!!

April!? Poet, you need to get the FASA in pronto, it's not an endless flow of money in Washington (depite popular opinion). It's pretty much first come first serve. Your still okay right now, but I wouldn't wait any longer then late March. I called them so this info is straight from the horses mouth.

First of all, if your looking for financial aid (free money you don't pay back) or loans (money you do pay back with interest) you have to fill out the FASA application for every school. You can start sending it out as of around Jan 1st 2000. I sent mine out about 2 weeks ago, because I wanted to wait till I had my taxes done. If you complete your taxes first, it makes filling out the FASA app a little easier. Once you send it in, the gov processess your app for about 1 month. They then send a print out to the schools you select on the FASA app, informing them of all the wonderful money that awaits you including aid and loans, grants. The school's financial aid dept then compiles the info and proceeds to send you a packet telling you which aid, grants, loans, scholarships etc.. you are elegible for. You then select what monies you would like to recieve and reply back to the school.

I hope this helps. As I always say, when in doubt contact the ones who know best. There's a toll free number for help. I didn't have to wait on the line too! long.

Thank you all for those informative posts, I will be spending all day Monday filling out the forms!! I am pretty much decided on UNECOM. I just feel like I belong there -- its hard to explain
smile.gif

I appreciate everyone's advice and information and I will definitely follow through.

If I am still waiting to hear from two other schools will FAFSA send my information to them as well?? My state school is still a hopeful for me since the tuition there is only 8500/yr and you can pay back 2/3 of it just by staying in-state and practicing.

smile.gif
Thanks again,
Poet

Poet/Doc Gibby--

You might want to check your sources again or obtain a second opinion. For Federal student loans there is no "first come, first served" policy. They are entitlement programs which means that any student determined eligible for aid must receive that aid.

Also, while it is important to file your FAFSA early in order to obtain your aid before school begins, the deadline for filing for aid is at the end of the year in which you are enrolled. So, for 2000-2001, the FAFSA deadline is June 30, 2001.

In addition, filing one FAFSA will do, not one for each school. The form contains a specific section in which you provide releases for up to six schools that can gain access to your FAFSA data (as well as State agencies that consider your eligibility for State aid).

Some schools may require a separate form for their own aid programs but filing one FAFSA covers the vast majority of Federal and state aid possibilities that medical students will require.

Check directly with your school's financial aid officer for the info most relevant to your own situation.

Good luck to all.