Mar 16, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was wondering when it's appropriate to call ENT in facial trauma. Do you call for every fracture? I know the obvious like tripod and Leforts, but what if you have a unilateral maxillary non-displaced fx or orbital floor fx with no entrapment. Do you still need to call opth/ ENT? Also just curious as to what the med of choice is in Rapid AF during acute CHF--BB's and CC's were supposed to be contraindicated and dig takes too long right?

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
I was wondering when it's appropriate to call ENT in facial trauma. Do you call for every fracture? I know the obvious like tripod and Leforts, but what if you have a unilateral maxillary non-displaced fx or orbital floor fx with no entrapment. Do you still need to call opth/ ENT?
it's really institution dependent.
I work at several different places:
at a level 1 trauma ctr we call the OMF service for all facial fxs. and pretty much all oral surgical concerns( peritonsilar abscess, etc)
at a level 2 ctr we don't have omf so for fxs requiring surgery we use ent unless a particular ophtho guy who did an orbital reconstruction fellowship is on call. ent frequently asks us to transfer to the level 1 ctr for the more significant facial fxs so OMF can do them.
remember to consider abx for all facial fxs