When do you start to wear scrubs? In 1st year or wait 'til patients?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorkiepoo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you start to wear scrubs in 1st and 2nd year or do you only begin to wear scrubs in 3rd year or so when you start seeing patients?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on which school you go to. Not all schools allow you to wear scrubs as part of the dress code. Others start you on scrubs from day 1. Name the school and maybe someone can tell you.

At Nova you wear scrubs D1-D4 every day, with the option to dress up on days you don't have lab...

Members don't see this ad :)
At Case, you go business casual for the first couple weeks till scrubs come in with your name embroidered all cute on it. Then it's scrubs from there on out.

I was told that at UMDNJ you are required to wear scrubs everyday, all the time at school, starting with the 2nd day of orientation. And they're color coded by year.

How about IU? Does anyone know?

at Marquette, starting this year they implemented a scrubs all the time attire. each year, from what i understood, will wear a specific color. my class is entirely navy blue.

You can wear scrubs at USC from Day 1. If not in scrubs, they say professional attire but you can get away with jeans if you really wanted for lab/class and such, lol.

The dental students at our school wear scrubs all the time from day 1. What's more, they're color-coded by class, so you can instantly tell what class someone is in by what shade their scrubs are. Sounds dumb, but it's actually pretty cool. And you can tell they're dentals instead of nurses or something else because they have the dental insignia on their breast pocket and on their butt. I have never before acquired so much information by checking out someone's rear.

At IU you can wear scrubs basically any day, thou ppl tend to dress up when there's no lab. Scrubs for dental students can be blue or light green, which separates them from say, hygienists (which is any other color BUT blue and light green) and nurses (red).