When do you submit your picture to the medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people said that you have to send a picture of yourself to AAMC/AMCAS. On the application, it does not say so. Is it part of the secondary? I'm not a vain bastard, but I am asking this because I am concerned about my application. I WANT NOTHING TO BE INCOMPLETE AND STALLED 4-6 WEEKS?

ANOTHER QUESTION: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR MED SCHOOLS TO SEE YOUR APPLICATION ONCE YOU SUBMIT AMCAS, COMMITTEE LETTERS AND TRANSCRIPTS?

Members don't see this ad.

I did not have to send a picture to AMCAS when I applied for this years entering class. However, many schools did require a passport sized photo to be sent in along with their secondary. I doubt that AMCAS wants your picture, so I would get some passport sized photos taken now and wait until you receive your secondaries before sending them. Also keep in mind that NOT ALL schools require photos, so if you want to be really on top of things, you could call the schools that you are applying to and ask them if they require a photo before you go out and waste any money on unnecessary photos.

I have no idea how long it takes AMCAS to transmit your application to the schools that you are applying to. The 2002 application cycle was far from normal because of AMCAS's problems. Once AMCAS certifies your application as complete and correct, they will then forward your application electronically or snail mail depending upon how the school deals with AMCAS (keep in mind that most schools do receive electronic submissions from AMCAS).

AMCAS does not want your picture. you send it in with probably every secondary. i suggest getting them now so you have them ready when your secondaries come in like august (if you have already applied). look for those photo booths at the mall....they are good quality and super cheap!

Some schools want a photo, others do not... you will find out exactly about all of that with the secondaries.

Why do they want a photo anyway???