When do you take the NBME practice exams...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...in relation to the USMLE date? i.e. one month before, one week before? I have heard from some people that some questions are exact repeats. I dont exactly feel like preparing for the exam that way, but I dont want to take practice exams too late/early either. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I took one 7 days before and the other 3 days before the real deal. I figured that it would be the most similar to step1 and wanted to see if the format was at all different from qbank. And if you score above the mean, it is a nice way to ease your nerves and boost your confidence as you approach your test date.

:rolleyes: Hi Guys!!
what's a good score on the NBME sample test for USMLE I??
I have heard if you score above a 320 you are ok. Let me know please =)

Members don't see this ad :)
My school recommends that we do the following:

Take 1 version (there are 2 tests available) at the beginning of board prep to see how you stack up and to see your weak areas on the breakdown so you can focus your studying.

Take the other test a week before the real deal to make sure you're on the right track and don't need to push your date back a little.

later

docfoofoo said:
:rolleyes: Hi Guys!!
what's a good score on the NBME sample test for USMLE I??
I have heard if you score above a 320 you are ok. Let me know please =)

I read in the the preface of the Appleton and Lange Review USMLE Step 1 book
that a minimum passing score for Step 1 is 380 with the mean being 500 and a standard deviation of 100.