When do you tell someone to pack it in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moofdaddy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a friend of mines second year applying and his second year being soundly rejected by every school he applied to. He got a number of secondaries and a number of interviews but he didn't get anything else.

When as her friend should I tell her that its time to look into another profession? Do I let her go on and try it all out a third time?

Members don't see this ad.

Did he apply to DO and Carribean schools this round? Or only allo schools?

There are always things your friend can do to improve his application. If he really wants to be a doctor, he might as well try for a third time. I've had a few friends get in on their third attempt.

moofdaddy said:
This is a friend of mines second year applying and his second year being soundly rejected by every school he applied to. He got a number of secondaries and a number of interviews but he didn't get anything else.

When as her friend should I tell her that its time to look into another profession? Do I let her go on and try it all out a third time?

i think you would be a good friend if you pointed your friend in the direction of an admissions counselor or pre-health advisor; only they can look at his application and give him honest advice about his chances, offer realistic ways to shore up any weaknesses, and bring up the notion of other healthcare fields.

do you really want to be the one who told him to forget about his dream? i think that it is his decision to make. i know that i wouldn't want that kind of accountability.

Members don't see this ad :)
moofdaddy said:

First of is your friend a guy or a girl? You referred to your friend as both him and as her.

If he/she is getting interviews then he/she is probably pretty close. There's probably some way for him/her to improve his/her app; without more information we can't really say what that would be, but I feel that if he/she addresses the weaknesses in his/her app he/she should be able to get in somewhere next year.

It's not a matter of accountability, but rather that you could be wrong. There are a number of people, myself included, who applied several times before getting in. And yes, I went through a couple of rounds of being soundly rejected without even a single interview. If your friend is getting interviews, that's awesome.

Send your friend to the health professions counselor.

When do you tell someone to pack it in?

Usually after a few cocktails. Oooh, jezus chriiist! :eek:

Your "friend" (ahem, YOU) should try until you have no desire left to be a doctor. If there's a will, there's a way, but if the will is gone, there's no way.

Keep it up. 3rd time's been the charm for a few peeps I know. You should be looking at other professions already though. You have to pay the bills, and it's never bad to have a safety net.

NS

um....if he/she/you is/are getting interviews, then he/she/you is/are a pretty good applicant - just work on their/your interview skills.

Instead of telling her to pack it in, you should try to encourage her to work harder and apply again because applying two times isn't alot. After the tenth time, maybe thats when you can tell her. But encourage her by telling your friend to go volunteer more and get more experience so her application looks better.