Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When does apartment hunting begin ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Hoooba, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Hoooba

Hoooba Masrawy 100 100
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys,

For those who have an idea of where they might be going next fall, when is a good time to start looking for an apartment?

thnx

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

I was wondering this too ;0

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lorelei

lorelei SDN Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on two things. First, what city are you going to? For a city with a tighter housing market (e.g. DC from personal experience, and I assume places like SF and NYC) you need a longer lead time, like two months. Second, what sort of housing are you looking for? Usually professionally-run apartment complexes will want a little longer lead time (between 1 and 2 months depending on the market), while small landlords like you'd find on Craigslist often don't list the apartment until it's actually open, so you can go as little as 2 weeks ahead of time - of course, then you run the risk of not finding a place in time.

[For example, in DC - tight market - I always found professional places 2 months ahead of move-in, while renting from an individual would be about 1 month or maybe less. In St. Louis, it looks like the time frames are ~1 month for professional places, 2 weeks for individuals. If you want to grab a place earlier than that, you'll likely need to pay rent for at least some of the time you're asking them to hold it for you.)

Unless you're planning on buying a place, you don't need to start looking until the summer. But if you don't know anything about the housing market where you're going, I'd start looking into it around May or June - see what the prices are, call apartment complexes and see how long of a lead time you should allow, etc. Hopefully your school will provide you with some information too.

4. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

U of MN has medical fraternities. Do other schools have them? ARe they a good idea? I think rent including utilities is only like 280$ a month.

5. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

UTMB has medical frats....they cost pretty much the same as UMN....all bills paid and food.

6. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

For our houses we rent out in university areas, we try to structure the leases so they run out in may (at the end of the school year) or august (beginning of the school year) for 12 or 9 month terms, respectively. We advertise about a month before the leases expire. You can look at any time and you'll find vacancies, but if you want the more desirable properties I would suggest you look at those times I stated. Also, houses in university areas (don't know about apartments, sorry) have pretty inelastic demand - students/professors/sports team coaches (we've had 'em all) always want to live nearby, so you've got to hustle if you want those choice places. Newspapers, online, or just driving through neighborhoods and spying "For Rent" signs will all work.

7. LadyWolverine

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm already looking for places to live in Baltimore and LA...just kinda poking around online and looking at some of the nicer places to live. Baltimore has some fantastic apartment complexes that are really close to school and relatively cheap. I've decided that I want a really nice place this fall, even if it means shelling out a couple hundred extra per month. I'm getting too old for the college-style living :D