When does green card gets verified?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swc12nap1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am still in the process of getting a green card and would most likely be getting it by September 2008 or onwards. But USCIS is very unpredictable. When do medical schools start verifying US permanent residency status during the application process? For those who applied last year cycle, was it during the submission of secondary application? or is it during the interview? Thanks for the information.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey folks, I am still in the process of getting a green card and would most likely be getting it by September 2008 or onwards. But USCIS is very unpredictable. When do medical schools start verifying US permanent residency status during the application process? For those who applied last year cycle, was it during the submission of secondary application? or is it during the interview? Thanks for the information.

Last year I had someone who brought a photocopy of the green card (just issued) to the interview for inclusion in the file. So that is at least one school that will interview without a verified green card.

You have to write down your ALIEN REGISTRATION NUMBER when submitting AMCAS.
Other wise, STATE schools and schools that require citizenship/permanent residency will NOT CONSIDER your application.
So, NO INTERVIEW.

They asked for GREENCARD and made its copy during interview to verify what I submitted in AMCAS and secondary application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately getting a greencard during the year might not help. I'm in the same situation. It's the interviews you want... and most schools are hesitant about non-perm. residents (except top 20).

Other wise, STATE schools and schools that require citizenship/permanent residency will NOT CONSIDER your application.
So, NO INTERVIEW.

They asked for GREENCARD and made its copy during interview to verify what I submitted in AMCAS and secondary application.

Whoa.

oh so if we're permanent residents, we must bring a copy of our green cards to interviews?

oh so if we're permanent residents, we must bring a copy of our green cards to interviews?

I had to for a couple of places (not everywhere). I would call and check.

I would strongly advise you to wait until you receive your green card, even if it means applying a bit late this cycle or waiting until next cycle if you do not want to risk being a reapplicant. That's what I did, and I don't regret it. AMCAS does not recognize "pending" Permanent Resident applications - you're either a Citizen, Permanent Resident, or None. Unless you have actually received your green card and can input yoru A# into AMCAS, you will be considered with international students. This is a HUGE disadvantage - lots of schools won't even consider your application.

Depending on which USCIS center you're filing with, and what basis you're filing on, the process may not take as long as you think. Mine took less than three months from the day I hired my lawyer and began amassing the paperwork to the day I had my green card in hand.

Good luck.

I would strongly advise you to wait until you receive your green card, even if it means applying a bit late this cycle or waiting until next cycle if you do not want to risk being a reapplicant. That's what I did, and I don't regret it. AMCAS does not recognize "pending" Permanent Resident applications - you're either a Citizen, Permanent Resident, or None. Unless you have actually received your green card and can input yoru A# into AMCAS, you will be considered with international students. This is a HUGE disadvantage - lots of schools won't even consider your application.

Depending on which USCIS center you're filing with, and what basis you're filing on, the process may not take as long as you think. Mine took less than three months from the day I hired my lawyer and began amassing the paperwork to the day I had my green card in hand.

Good luck.

I don't understand how you think it helped you though. You got into WashU (you obviously had good stats). WashU's international interview rates are pretty high surprisingly. I think if your stats are average with U.S students, maybe, just maybe wait a year (b/c only the top schools do not discriminate between U.S vs. International). But if you're numbers are nice, I don't think it'll hurt to apply once and see what happens.

So, NO INTERVIEW.

Are you sure you need to put your alien registration number? from what I know, AMCAS application asks only Country of Citizenship, Visa Type, Country of Legal Residence, State and County of Legal Residence, but not the alien registration though I am not really positive about that. I am really sure that I will get the green card by the time I get to the interview time and I was hoping that schools start verifying residency only during that stage and not earlier. Thanks for all the information guys.

Are you sure you need to put your alien registration number? from what I know, AMCAS application asks only Country of Citizenship, Visa Type, Country of Legal Residence, State and County of Legal Residence, but not the alien registration though I am not really positive about that. I am really sure that I will get the green card by the time I get to the interview time and I was hoping that schools start verifying residency only during that stage and not earlier. Thanks for all the information guys.

yeah man... I'll probably have it by interview time too. I plan to include this extra visa information on secondaries. Many schools have a : Tell us anything in this box type thing.

Unfortunately, schools decide before the interview. For example, Wake Forest had some 400-500 non-perm resident holders apply last year. Only 5 got interviews.