Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

When does OHSU start giving out acceptances?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ifkt355, Nov 17, 2005.

1. ifkt355

ifkt355 Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone, I recently interviewed at OHSU, my first choice school. The interview went well, I think, but you never know. During orientation, we were told that aobut 10% being interviewed would be offered immediate acceptance, some will be rejected, and most of us will be on the hold category until they finish interview everybody, then again you will either be accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. But we were also told that since it is still early, chances of us getting immediate acceptance are very small. Correct me if I got it wrong. They will send out a notification of either of these three results withint 4-6 weeks.

I would like to know, from those of you who had gone through or are going through this painful process, is OHSU even giving out acceptances at this point at all? Seemed like quite a few applicants interviewed in Spring time got immediate acceptance (meaning didn't have to wait until mid May). Did anyone who interviewed in Oct. or Nov. received immediate acceptances, and when did you receive notice?

I want to get an more realistic idea, and see if it is even worthy it to have any hope at this point of time. Thanks for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was one of the people put on hold post-interview last year. It's true that OHSU waitlists a lot of people initially. I do know of two people who had been accepted by early December last year, though.

4. ifkt355

ifkt355 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you for your input, UCLAStudent. I assume you are in UCLA SOM now? Do you know when did those two people interview? What contributed their success in getting an immediate acceptance?

5. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No prob. :) Yeah, I'm at UCLA. I honestly do not know when these two people interviewed ... they were people who I met at another interview, so I didn't know them very well or anything. If you do get put on hold, you might not hear anything from OHSU for a long time. I was put on hold in December and didn't get a final decision letter until mid-May. OHSU has really good waitlist movement, though. The student who was my tour guide was something like number 50 on the waitlist. Let me know if you have any other questions! OHSU is wonderful. :)

6. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

acceptance today!!!!!!!!!!! yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i'm having a great day.

7. Toxic

Toxic Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Congratulations!!!! If you don't mind, can I ask when you interviewed? Thanks!

8. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I can't remember exactly... but in the middle of October sometime.

9. ifkt355

ifkt355 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your info, UCLAStudent.

Congratulations, SeattlePostBach. So they are accepting people now. Do you mind sharing with us your interview experience at OHSU? What do you think made you get an immediate acceptance? Thanks!

10. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hmm.. I'm not sure why I got in right away. It could be that I was genuinely enthusiatic to be there. I had a lot of questions... I also had been to a couple other interviews already, so I wasn't as nervous as the other interviewees there that day. A couple of them looked like deer in headlights all day.
    But I also didn't have a perfect interview. A very sensitive subject came up and I just started rambling... because that's what I do to not break down in public. They also asked me why in the world I would prefer to go there over my state school (UW). And i didn't have a good answer.. I just said I wanted to stay close to home, and Portland is pretty close and I like the school's programs, etc.

I don't know, really. I might just be like a lotto, and I won. :D

11. BooMed

BooMed Optomist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

I looooove Portland, and OHSU is awesome. Nice to know you can be accepted somewhere without a perfect interview. :p

12. firebird69guy

5+ Year Member

My buddy got accepted yesterday.. he interviewed ASAP (I believe in September).

Anyways, I'm still waiting for in invite (complete 10/26)

Good luck to all!

13. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    me, too. i was also complete at around that point. does anyone know who long one usually has to wait between being complete and getting interviews? i'm instate but pretty average.

14. ifkt355

ifkt355 Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you, SeattlePostBach!! You really make us feel that we have hope! Would you tell us your stats and extracurriculum experiences, or you can PM me if you feel more comfortable that way? Thanks a lot!!

Regarding the question raised about how long in between completion of file and interview invite, for me, I think it was about 1 month.

15. ifkt355

ifkt355 Member
    7+ Year Member

Firebird69guy, thanks for posting. Are you sure you buddy got interviewe in Sep? We were told that they started interviewing in mid-Oct. Do you know what his/her stats are, and ETCs that made him/her such a strong candidate? How was his/her interview? Thanks!