When does the timer start?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjos22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that a lot of schools take note of how long it takes for you to fill out their secondary. However, a few questions:

1). When does this timer begin? I got a generic email today stating that I can begin filling out their secondary, but does the time begin once I log into their online secondary, or when they begin to receive my materials or when?

2). How crucial is it to turn this stuff in ASAP when its not even the 4th of july yet? I'm going out of town this next week, and don't want to rush filling out secondaries before I go (and only have two anyway, not yet AMCAS verified). Also, I still need at least one more LOR to come in (anyone know what sort of rec's U. of Chicago needs?)

It looks like i'll be able to send in secondaries as I receive them (starting next week). My LORs will hopefully come in by the end of the month. Will this destory my chances of getting into med school?? :scared: Reading some of these forums makes me extremely nervous...

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of that. I'm pretty sure that it can't matter that much how much time it takes you. Now I know its better to turn in your secondary sooner than later, but thats just because most schools have rolling admissions. But technically, as long as you get that secondary in before the deadline then you will be fine.

mjos22 said:
I hear that a lot of schools take note of how long it takes for you to fill out their secondary. However, a few questions:

1). When does this timer begin? I got a generic email today stating that I can begin filling out their secondary, but does the time begin once I log into their online secondary, or when they begin to receive my materials or when?

2). How crucial is it to turn this stuff in ASAP when its not even the 4th of july yet? I'm going out of town this next week, and don't want to rush filling out secondaries before I go (and only have two anyway, not yet AMCAS verified). Also, I still need at least one more LOR to come in (anyone know what sort of rec's U. of Chicago needs?)

It looks like i'll be able to send in secondaries as I receive them (starting next week). My LORs will hopefully come in by the end of the month. Will this destory my chances of getting into med school?? :scared: Reading some of these forums makes me extremely nervous...

Take you time... dont keep them for more than 3 weeks. It is still really early. You're fine right now. If it was mid september you should be worried.