when does too many credits hurt trying to boost your gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm taking 20 credits over the summer, 17 of which will go towards my bcpm (i'm only taking like... 1 legit, hard science sequence, so i think it'll be okay). thing is, by the end of the summer, i'll be a rising junior with 110 credits. will taking any other "easy" sciences even help after that point? i suppose it will continue to help my bcpm, but what about my overall gpa? should i keep trying to add in those "easy" sciences no matter what?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, if your GPA is low enough to where you need to improve it, what makes you think you can handle 20 units over a summer term? That's equivalent to 30-40 units in a semester, which would be risky for even the smartest students out there.

Honestly, if your GPA is low enough to where you need to improve it, what makes you think you can handle 20 units over a summer term? That's equivalent to 30-40 units in a semester, which would be risky for even the smartest students out there.

my school doesn't even allow students to take ver 12 credits in the summer lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you just making this all up?

not making it up.. and only my science gpa is on the low end. my regular one isn't that bad. it was 2 bad grades that brought me down. at the school i'm going to for the summer, you can take up to 12 credits per session. i'm doing 2 sessions, 10 credits each. i did 9 both sessions last summer and did well (all As except one B), so i think i can handle it, though i do see the concern. maybe i'll drop one class each semester to focus after attending the first day or 2 to see if it seems like a lot.