1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

When doing applications, do you need the backing of your school's prehealth committee

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by KiwiTeawi, Apr 24, 2004.

1. KiwiTeawi

KiwiTeawi Junior Member

I've been out of school for a while, and my guess is that it's too late to go through my undergrad institutions pre-health committee. Are dental school applications like med school applications where you need a composite letter from the committee?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Usually, if your school has a pre-health committee, then it is preferable to have a letter of reference from them (It might look bad if the dental schools know your school has one but you do not utilize them). However, if your university/CC lacks this resource, then LORs from the required professors/dentists will be equivalent. You might be able to opt out from getting it from pre-health com and get it from professors if you can explain to them that your professors knows you better and can better attest to your abilities and achievements (however, I don't know if this will work since I haven't encountered this problem as my univeristy does not have a committee). I guess it is best to contact the dental schools and ask for their opinion.

4. preludexl

preludexl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You don't HAVE to. Especially if you been out for a while. Unless you were tight with all your profs, how are you going to get a good one from them? I didn't go thru them, even though the school preferred. 1. I didnt like the chair of the comittee (I came into his classes late all the time) 2. 90% of the profs dont know me, they are new. 3. The committee only meets for a few months during the fall, after that, you have to wait until next year to get one from them. I didnt even apply until after Dec., so I bypassed them through that reason mostly. But check if its MANDATORY for your school.

5. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I'm confused. :confused:
    How much weigh does the committe letter have over collecting 3 letters. I've had people tell me that the committe letter is preferred but then again I've seen people get accepted to med school and dental by collecting their own recommendations.

6. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If the school has a pre-health committee (that dental schools know of their existence) then I believe they would be preferred over LORs by profs since this will level the playing field between applicant in that school. However, if the school does not have a pre-health committee then LORs from profs will have the same importance as well.

7. ToothMonkey

ToothMonkey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I never got a pre-health committee LOR from my school. I don't know whether failing to do so hurt my chances with any dental schools, but I still got in so apparently it's not necessarily a fatal flaw.

8. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

I was applying to dental schools 3 years after I finished my B.S... The preprofessional committee still had my LORs on file and sent them out for me right away. It saved me a lot of trouble so I didn't have to hunt down old instructors who may or may not remember me and beg for LORs.

to the OP: Never hurts to call your alma mater's preprofessional committee and ask if they still have your stuff on file. The worst they can say is no.