• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

johnwandering

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2009
Status (Visible)
In female reproduction, there is a point where a huge excess of estrogen begins to cause a positive feedback of hGH (while before it was negative feedback).

I was wondering if this was during the follicular phase or ovulation (seems to be right in between. Kaplan seems to say ovulation, EK says before ovulation)

ipodtouch

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
I would say go with kaplan?

EK has the absolute Worst section on menstration lve ever seen. Its barely comprehendable and they put in a lot of useless informaion you dont need.

It should be during ovulation.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
In female reproduction, there is a point where a huge excess of estrogen begins to cause a positive feedback of hGH (while before it was negative feedback).

I was wondering if this was during the follicular phase or ovulation (seems to be right in between. Kaplan seems to say ovulation, EK says before ovulation)

Are you talking about LH?

About the Ads

kasho11

May 29, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
GnRH is inhibited by both progesterone and estrogen. If fertilzation occurs the corpus luteum is maintained and continues to produce estrogen and progesterone, which continues the negative feedback on GnRH, eventually placenta takes over for corpus luteum. If fertilzation does not occur, corpus luteum atrophies, estrogen and progesterone levels decline, removing the block on GnRH and endometrium sloughs off.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Low levels of estrogen inhibits release of GnRH (NOT GH) from the Hypothalamus via adrenergic neuron upregulation and stimulation. This causes inhibitory modulation of LH, but the growing size of the follicle and granulosa cells cause them to produce more estrogen than can be inhibited by low LH.

At a certain level of estrogen, high levels of estrogen stimulates release of GnRH from the Hypothalamus via NPY neuron upregulation and stimulation. This causes a positive feedback loop that results in the LH surge.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Podiatry
Low levels of estrogen inhibits release of GnRH (NOT GH) from the Hypothalamus via adrenergic neuron upregulation and stimulation. This causes inhibitory modulation of LH, but the growing size of the follicle and granulosa cells cause them to produce more estrogen than can be inhibited by low LH.

At a certain level of estrogen, high levels of estrogen stimulates release of GnRH from the Hypothalamus via NPY neuron upregulation and stimulation. This causes a positive feedback loop that results in the LH surge.

Do you know why progesterone in birth control pills thins the endometrium? I learned in A&P that progesterone is what is mainly responsible for endometrial growth in preparation for an embryo.

Morsetlis

I wish I were a dentist
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2010
The "Garden" State
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The simpler way to memorize it is that estrogen grows the endometrium while progesterone maintains it. Progesterone is inhibitory to GnRH release from Hyth and thus inhibits release of estrogens.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.