When EXACTLY is the first time 2005 matchers can take the TOEFL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's good for 2 years. So within 2 years one has to enter a residency program in the US. That much I know.

But when exactly does one officially enter the program? Usual starting dates are July 1st but then there's orientation, which starts a week earlier than that.

So what do you all think? Could someone take it June 27th this year and be fine? Or doesn't orientation count?

The thing is they closed the testing center in my country. And they closed the testing center in Sweden...... So I have to travel all the way to Berlin with my 2-year old daughter and 8 month pregnant wife. For safety's sake, being able to take it a week early would be pretty cool. I would hate to count the minutes between contractions while racing home on the Autobahn.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was good for two years until you have your ECFMG certificate - presumably you would have your certificate before you started residency.

If the time limit is two years before starting RESIDENCY rather than to ECFMG certification (which would make more sense) then I imagine that you would be ok not counting orientation - but don't wanna fool around with those ECFMG jokers.

This is what the ecfmg site says:

"This English Test Date is valid for two years from the date passed for the purpose of entering a program of graduate medical education in the United States. If your English Test Date expires before you enter a U.S. program of graduate medical education, you must revalidate your English Test Date before you may enter such a program. You can revalidate the English Test Date for an additional two-year period by passing a subsequent TOEFL. Once you enter a program of graduate medical education in the United States, the English Test Date is no longer subject to expiration, and you may request permanent validation of your English Test Date"

The key being "enter GME in the US within 2 years". I suppose taking it before July 1st this year would be taking a bit of a chance.

Has anyone heard of programs starting, say, August 1st? It would suck soooo bad to have to take the TOEFL twice.

I'm a little bitter about the TOEFL. I used to have a testing center 3 miles from my house. They closed it because "too few people took the TOEFL". So, conveniently, they close the one in Sweden on the same day. Gaad, those people are dumb. Don't they figure there'd be some spill-over from one center to the other if they just closed one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess if that's what the ECFMG says then I would wait until I was sure the 2 years wouldn't expire. I don't know any programs that start August 1 - its usually the few weeks before July 1 or in January.

Why the rush to take the test now, given your situation? Why not wait until after your wife's labor is over? After all, you don't have to rush to get the TOEFL or ECMFG certification just now do you?

I had to travel to Munich to take it. I really don't see why you need to take it now, are you trying to schedule the CSA right away or something? And I thought you were going to go through the Match this year? Color me confused.

In any case, I wouldn't bother with the TOEFL until you are ready to gear up to turn in your application for the CSA. Why do something now if you can wait until later, especially if now is kind of inconvenient? Especially since I doubt you'll really have to study for TOEFL.

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox
Well, I guess if that's what the ECFMG says then I would wait until I was sure the 2 years wouldn't expire. I don't know any programs that start August 1 - its usually the few weeks before July 1 or in January.

Why the rush to take the test now, given your situation? Why not wait until after your wife's labor is over? After all, you don't have to rush to get the TOEFL or ECMFG certification just now do you?

Whoa, Kimberli, are you suggesting life gets easier after the baby is out?!? No, I wanna be able to enjoy a nice little mini-vacation in Berlin before the baby crowns. I mean, it sucks that I can't bike from my house to the testing center but Berlin is a really cool city and I'm looking forward to the trip.

nychick, I wish I could enter the match next year but I won't graduate for a couple of years. Gaad, I'm a crazy fool for having two kids while in med school.

Thanks for the advice, both of you