When interviews start, and is it important to do it early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FlossFloss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know interviews can start as early as August, but I was really hoping to go back to my home country this summer, and there are no flights coming back until after Sept 9 as of now. Two questions:

1. if I am able to get an interview, and I request that it be a little later than they suggest am I penalized for it?
2. (sort of same question), are interviews considered sort of on rolling base as well?

I won't have too many chances to go abroad, but is this too risky?

Members don't see this ad.

I know interviews can start as early as August, but I was really hoping to go back to my home country this summer, and there are no flights coming back until after Sept 9 as of now. Two questions:

1. if I am able to get an interview, and I request that it be a little later than they suggest am I penalized for it?
2. (sort of same question), are interviews considered sort of on rolling base as well?

I won't have too many chances to go abroad, but is this too risky?

A FEW schools start in August, but I'd say many more begin in September and October. I don't think you'd necessarily be penalized for asking for a later date if you have a valid reason (although a few schools won't let you re-schedule your assigned date.

To answer your second question, interviews are SORT OF on a rolling basis. In my opinion, all interviews before December 1st are equal in terms of getting accepted but after December 1st, the later your interview, generally the lower your chances of acceptance are.

Reactions: 1 user
A FEW schools start in August, but I'd say many more begin in September and October. I don't think you'd necessarily be penalized for asking for a later date if you have a valid reason (although a few schools won't let you re-schedule your assigned date.

To answer your second question, interviews are SORT OF on a rolling basis. In my opinion, all interviews before December 1st are equal in terms of getting accepted but after December 1st, the later your interview, generally the lower your chances of acceptance are.

In your opinion, do you think me visiting my homeland (I'm a perm resident of America, not the homeland) is not a good excuse and they might think of me as irresponsible for knowing that i could possibly have an interview but I went anyway? ><

Members don't see this ad :)
In your opinion, do you think me visiting my homeland (I'm a perm resident of America, not the homeland) is not a good excuse and they might think of me as irresponsible for knowing that i could possibly have an interview but I went anyway? ><

I think you might be fine. Only a few schools last cycle started in august. A good number started a lot later. I submitted my app fairly early and my first interview was in October. The schools usually will email you giving you a few options to schedule your interview date. Some schools will have a portal system where you just select the date you want online (nova southeastern, midwestern U, I think... seems like so long ago :)

Reactions: 1 user
What country are you from, FlossFloss? How often are there flights back to the US, if there aren't any for the better part of August?

Last edited:
What country are you from, FlossFloss? How often are there flights back to the US, if there aren't any for the better part of August?
There are flights, but the problem specifically for me is that I need to use my mileage to go and come back, and those are peak times in the year where I can't get any tickets anytime before then to return. also, they would have me use the same amount of mileage for economy seats as I would for business flight just because it's peak loll. its a little complicated the way their rules are.

Oh, alright. Man, good on you for going back when they make it that difficult, then.