When is 1st day to submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

i77ac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know when 1st day is to submit AMCAS? Does it depend on which schools to which you are applying?

Members don't see this ad.

i77ac said:
Anyone know when 1st day is to submit AMCAS? Does it depend on which schools to which you are applying?

It was June 3rd last year for all schools and programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
on or soon after june 1st.

i went on the aamc website and it didnt say anywhere. :confused:

They haven't set the date yet, of course. Last year, the tentative date was June 1st and it got pushed back to the 3rd over the course of May. It really matters little, however, if you submit on the very first day. Take your time. Proofread! If you get it in anytime in the first couple weeks, you'll have a distinctive edge over everyone else. The rest of the masses don't start submitting until late July/August, when you'll be sending out your secondaries and getting interview invites. :horns:

AMCAS 2005 went live yesterday (May 5). I don't know why it's a month earlier this year--do any of you?

We've said this before, but in case you missed it..........

You can not make changes to your application after you submit, so make sure everything is correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This means you can't add another school, you can't add a class you forgot, you can't change a grade you put in wrong, you can't print out the transcript requests, you can't add EC's, etc.....

Things you can change after submission are:
1. Your address
2. If you want to apply to more medical schools, you can add more and pay more money and AMCAS will send your application to those schools

Amy B said:
We've said this before, but in case you missed it..........

You can not make changes to your application after you submit, so make sure everything is correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This means you can't add another school, you can't add a class you forgot, you can't change a grade you put in wrong, you can't print out the transcript requests, you can't add EC's, etc.....

All you can after sumbission is your address and you can add more schools to apply to .

Just to clarify: You can't add another school to your academic record. You can (or at least you always could in the past) add applications to more schools. So you could submit your application with only XYZ school of medicine, and then add ABC University later on.

I thought you could add new schools...I did last year.

The reason it got pushed back to June 3rd last year was because June 1st was a Sunday (I think). According to the premed dean at my school, AMCAS will never have anything go active on a Friday or on a weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised to see AMCAS get pushed back again this year though, especially since falls right after a holiday weekend.

Good luck everyone.

docmemi said:
on or soon after june 1st.

i went on the aamc website and it didnt say anywhere. :confused:

If its not on the website then where did you get this info? from the individual schools websites?

I finished my amcas and am only a click away from having it sent. i already sent out the transcript request to my alma mater. (And yes, I did take time to do it, I knew the format months in advance and had everything filled out in word documents so I just transferred it.)

So, what would happen if I tried certifying and submitting this afternoon? will the system not allow me to do it or will it get trashed by the adcoms? Note that aamc says they take 4-6 weeks to process each amcas so doing it now will get it in 'on or around' june 1/3.

It won't let you submit until around June 1st.

Then it takes about 4-6 weeks (some quicker, some slower) to verify.

Schools then download the apps in July, and you start getting secondaries in July.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here, this is just how I remember it from last year.

FYI ::

I just contacted AAMC and they have told me that the submission date will be sometime in MID-June, but they have not determined a date yet.

I started filling out the application yesterday and got to the spot where it asks if you will be taking the August MCAT. I clicked NO because I am hopeful that April went well but if I do write again in August are you able to change this once you submit your application or is it better to wait until scores are out?

mdsadler said:
I started filling out the application yesterday and got to the spot where it asks if you will be taking the August MCAT. I clicked NO because I am hopeful that April went well but if I do write again in August are you able to change this once you submit your application or is it better to wait until scores are out?
YOU CAN't CHANGE THINGS ONCE YOU SUBMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are sure you did well on the April test, then click no. However if you didn't do well and the schools get your scores and see you aren't taking the August test, they may reject you. I would wait until the scores come in and then you can be certain.

Look people, when we say apply early, we don't mean the very first minute. We mean don't wait until July or August. I would STRONGLY urge you all to wait for your MCAT scores AND all grades from this spring semester before hitting that submit button. THAT WILL BE EARLY ENOUGH!!!!!!!!

All you need to do now is send in any and all transcripts that are completed. And fill out all info on the application. Then if you have your grades and have the MCAT scores you like, hit submit and your done.

OR

If you don't have all grades in yet, WAIT to send that transcript to AMCAS, but send any others that you may have. And fill out the info on the application but wait until grades and MCAT scores come in Don't submit until that time.

Patience is something that you are really going to need during this whole process. It will drive you crazy, but it should all work out in the end. Please don't jump the gun now and then have to jump through hoops later to correct things that could have been avoided.

WOW!

I cant believe more than a year has passed since I started this madness!! seems like yesterday.

exmike said:
WOW!

I cant believe more than a year has passed since I started this madness!! seems like yesterday.

Seriously, its blowing my mind. Its like time to retire from this board, I just re-lived the submitting drama in my head.

Eraserhead said:
Seriously, its blowing my mind. Its like time to retire from this board, I just re-lived the submitting drama in my head.

Everytime I see or hear the word AMCAS, I relive the nightmare of the year AMCAS went online for the first time. I still have nightmares about that whole ordeal. You all don't know what problems are unless you have lived through that year (2001/2002)
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Amy B said:
Everytime I see or hear the word AMCAS, I relive the nightmare of the year AMCAS went online for the first time. I still have nightmares about that whole ordeal. You all don't know what problems are unless you have lived through that year (2001/2002)
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

I had friends who went through that cycle. It sounded like HELL and I think I would have had a nervous breakdown or something. :scared: Especially since one of them didn't get in after all that work.