When is considered late to be completed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecabinet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got verified mid of July....and just got through about 60% of my secondaries (i applied to quite a few...)

How late am I to complete secondaries by the end of this month?

When is considered "good" to be complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Even september is not that horrible, but try to get it done asap

I don't think you'll be "late" at all if Secondaries are in by the end of August.

Definitions vary by a person's experience, but I consider September "Completeness" to be late, with just a bit of negative effect on 9/1 which accelerates (slowly or quickly) over time, until it becomes devastating. The degree to which it hurts your chances (slope of the curve) depends on how competitive you are for a given school. My observation is that those with great stats still may get acceptances with greater lateness, but that they often tend to be for less selective schools than those to which they might have aspired.

Exceptions occur where applications aren't considered by adcomms until fall or where the applicant pool is relatively small.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you'll be "late" at all if Secondaries are in by the end of August.

Definitions vary by a person's experience, but I consider September "Completeness" to be late, with just a bit of negative effect on 9/1 which accelerates (slowly or quickly) over time, until it becomes devastating. The degree to which it hurts your chances (slope of the curve) depends on how competitive you are for a given school. My observation is that those with great stats still may get acceptances with greater lateness, but that they often tend to be for less selective schools than those to which they might have aspired.

Exceptions occur where applications aren't considered by adcomms until fall or where the applicant pool is relatively small.

yup

Got verified mid of July....and just got through about 60% of my secondaries (i applied to quite a few...)

How late am I to complete secondaries by the end of this month?

When is considered "good" to be complete?

Keep in mind that these distinctions are almost entirely arbitrary. I would consider October definitely late, though others will say that September is starting to get on the late side of things.

I don't think being complete by the end of August will be problematic as Cat and mmc said.