When is interview season for IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickfeet

Smooth Operator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When exactly does interview season begin and end for internal medicine residencies? Is there a specific month where it is really busy? Just making a rough outline of when I want to take time off during my 4th year schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

October to Jan is when most of mine were

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard the most were in November to December. If I were to take one of those months off for interviews, which month would someone suggestion?

Follow-up to this: if you're a DO student applying to (hopefully-mostly ACGME) IM, is it safe to take a vacation toward the end of January? A week on a beach with a mojito sounds pretty excellent, but I don't want to book anything in advance if it means I'll miss out on crucial chances to interview.

(I can't move my vacation month, so please don't suggest that even if it that's the best/easiest answer).

@ortnakas
I'm by no means the most knowledgeable on this but if I were a DO student shooting for ACGME IM residencies I wouldn't go on a proper vacation that would prevent me from making a last minute interview until after ROL is submitted. At least I certainly wouldn't book anything until prior to seeing how many/what interviews I was getting.

Follow-up to this: if you're a DO student applying to (hopefully-mostly ACGME) IM, is it safe to take a vacation toward the end of January? A week on a beach with a mojito sounds pretty excellent, but I don't want to book anything in advance if it means I'll miss out on crucial chances to interview.

(I can't move my vacation month, so please don't suggest that even if it that's the best/easiest answer).
End of January is fine for vacation. All the IM programs I interviewed at stopped interviewing mid-January except one which went till Feb 1 (local community program). Also you just have to be good about scheduling your IVs right away so you can get the choicest spot, as they fill-up fast on interview broker.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users