When is it best to interview, early/late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecat919

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about interview dates. Generally it is a good idea to interview early, as I've heard. However, is that really true? If you interview in January does that change how much they like/dislike you?

I have the option of doing interviews in November, however, I already have 5 interviews scheduled in areas between NYC and DC. I dont' want to get too exhausted, but if people think it's better to interview in November vs January, then ofcoruse I will switch my january inteviews to november, and really load up.

Thanks!

OOPS -- just saw this is a repost of earlier thread. Sorry guys, feel free to ignore.... or give me your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question about interview dates. Generally it is a good idea to interview early, as I've heard. However, is that really true? If you interview in January does that change how much they like/dislike you?

I have the option of doing interviews in November, however, I already have 5 interviews scheduled in areas between NYC and DC. I dont' want to get too exhausted, but if people think it's better to interview in November vs January, then ofcoruse I will switch my january inteviews to november, and really load up.

Thanks!

OOPS -- just saw this is a repost of earlier thread. Sorry guys, feel free to ignore.... or give me your advice.

Well, I've actually heard that interviewing late can be advantageous because the program is more likely to remember you. However, when I went to my first interview, I was told that I had a "leg up" because I was the first one to interview. Personally, I don't think the time frame really makes a difference.

Well, I've actually heard that interviewing late can be advantageous because the program is more likely to remember you. However, when I went to my first interview, I was told that I had a "leg up" because I was the first one to interview. Personally, I don't think the time frame really makes a difference.

The argument for interviewing late sounds like speculation that people ran away with. I haven't heard a single PD confirm it.

I don't think it makes any difference. We preliminarily rank people on the day they interview and then have a final ranking session after all interviews are over.

The difference it makes, if any, is most likely very insignificant.

I just had my first interview Yesterday and the ranking process really remains a mystery to me. How are we ranked? I saw that one of my interviewers had a form with a numerical rating scale in different categories, but I wasn't able to make out what the categories were...I don't know it just seemed like my interviews were so laid back and my interviewers were so easy going. Also the 5 other applicants interviewing with me were all very similar to myself...I would love some insight into the ranking process from a program directors view.

I'm sure every program has their own method.

At my program, we were given scoring sheets for each candidate we interviewed which had several categories on which we ranked the candidate from 1-5 (or maybe it was 1-4).

After all interviews for the day, we went through the candidates one by one and went over the faculty and resident evals. Anyone who wished to elaborate, further comment about the scores did so at that time. The candidate was then separated into the "A", "B" or do not rank groups.

Finally, before the ROL was due there was a monster session where we rereviewed all the "A" and "B" candidates, added any new info we might have (ie, "they sent a nice thank you note"...j/k), and then ranked them. Then I suspect the PD and the Chair fiddled with things and just ranked people in any ol order they wanted.

Bottom line is that most programs have something similar...ie, you are preliminarily ranked on the day you interview and then finally, against eveyrone who has interviewed there.

Thanks that was exactly what I wanted to know! I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly!