when is it ok to contact schools about your status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iDoc64

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it customary to contact schools that you have not heard back from in a long while? how long of a wait is appropriate before you contact the schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I always think that this is a bad idea. While each school probably varies on their tolerance for anxious, neurotic pre-meds (not unlike myself), you don't want to risk it. I asked my pre-med advisor about this and she always said, 'that's a big no no' and she made an 'X' sign with her two index fingers, indicating that schools will mark you as an over-anxious pre-med. Also, given that so many SDNers have recounted stories about admissions office people being very inpatient with students checking their status, I would err on the side of waiting it out. That's just my two cents. Take it or leave it.

AtG

I think the best thing is to shoot them an email. It's less intrusive than a phone call so I don't think you'd be perceived as super annoying or anything. And to answer your original question, I've been coming up on 3 months complete at some schools with no news, so I sent them an email last week. Granted, nothing changed, but at least I confirmed that there wasn't anything missing from my application or that they lost it (as some horror stories have recounted).

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on why you're contacting them. If they haven't given you a decision post-interview for like 2 or 3 months, then it's not really unreasonable to call and ask what the issue is. Or, if you have a question about your application. Obviously, calling every other week is going to serve no purpose other than to p*** the admissions staff off.

Its been 1.5 months since I've heard from a majority (22/30) schools I'm complete at. I'm fairly confident that if I were to call every single one and get some information, they would be able to tell me I'm rejected, or they're waiting to send me an interview in the near future. I just find it hard to believe that a school hasn't even seen my app after its been sitting around for between 1 and 2 months. I would even be more sane if a school told me that they've seen my app, and it looks good, but they have other people before me to interview.

I miss AMCAS's professionality and communication. Anyone miss "We are currently reviewing applications received between 6-26 and 6-29", punctual updates, and friendly people available to answer questions???

Its been 1.5 months since I've heard from a majority (22/30) schools I'm complete at. I'm fairly confident that if I were to call every single one and get some information, they would be able to tell me I'm rejected, or they're waiting to send me an interview in the near future. I just find it hard to believe that a school hasn't even seen my app after its been sitting around for between 1 and 2 months. I would even be more sane if a school told me that they've seen my app, and it looks good, but they have other people before me to interview.

I miss AMCAS's professionality and communication. Anyone miss "We are currently reviewing applications received between 6-26 and 6-29", punctual updates, and friendly people available to answer questions???

Actually, if you haven't been offered an interview yet, there's a decent chance that they've just glanced at your application and separated it into one of several piles that they'll examine more closely later. So yeah, most likely if you call them they'll just tell you that adcom hasn't looked at it yet. The adcom staff answering the phone for you certainly doesn't know what point in the process your app is at.

Is it customary to contact schools that you have not heard back from in a long while? how long of a wait is appropriate before you contact the schools?

I think it's only ever worth calling if you are not marked complete or if you are trying to schedule another interview or if they have told you they would get back by a certain time and they have not. Otherwise, there's nothing they can tell you.

Where's the distinction drawn between contacting a school to find out your status versus "showing interest" for the school by contacting them? I don't know, I've heard both sides of the arguments: some say not to contact b/c you'll just seem over-anxious, while some say to contact to let them know you're interested, so who knows?

Where's the distinction drawn between contacting a school to find out your status versus "showing interest" for the school by contacting them? I don't know, I've heard both sides of the arguments: some say not to contact b/c you'll just seem over-anxious, while some say to contact to let them know you're interested, so who knows?

An LOI may be more appropriate. They can add something like that to your file while they won't do anything about a phone call.

When to call/email is situation-based. If they say something like "We'll let you know in 3 weeks" and it's been 4 weeks, call them. If you call them about your status when it's clearly written out online, they may be alittle annoyed.

An LOI may be more appropriate. They can add something like that to your file while they won't do anything about a phone call.

When to call/email is situation-based. If they say something like "We'll let you know in 3 weeks" and it's been 4 weeks, call them. If you call them about your status when it's clearly written out online, they may be alittle annoyed.
When sending a LoI, is it better to send by email or snail mail? And who is generally addressed to, the dean of admissions or the director of admissions?

When sending a LoI, is it better to send by email or snail mail? And who is generally addressed to, the dean of admissions or the director of admissions?

I've only asked one school, and they said an email is just fine. Just attach it to the email as a word document. You could just address it to the school or something like "To the Admissions Committee." I'm don't think it really matters.