When is it "OK" to give up my volunteering jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnesthesiaMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying in June of 2008 and I was just wondering, when is it acceptable to give up my volunteering gigs? Wouldn't it look bad to quit once I have an acceptance in hand? Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying in June of 2008 and I was just wondering, when is it acceptable to give up my volunteering gigs? Wouldn't it look bad to quit once I have an acceptance in hand? Thanks for your thoughts.

My opinion on the matter is to not get involved in any volunteer activities unless you are genuinely interested in them. And consequently, you would stop participating when moving on with your life to medical school (or any other post-graduate activity). Another instance in which it would be appropriate is if you are sure you cannot devote a sufficient amount of time to the activity because of other obligations getting in the way.

Hope this helps.

If your just doing it to look good, probably right now or when you get an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your just doing it to look good, probably right now or when you get an acceptance.

Well I do enjoy what I'm doing. I was only asking because my week is booked to the max right now and freeing up some time would be great.

Well if your too busy, I would do it once I got an acceptance.