WHen is it time to panic

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by opel, Apr 5, 2002.

1. opel

opel Senior Member

When is it absolutely for certain that an applicant will not get into a particular med school? For example late may, mid june ....currently

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life

Day of orientation.

4. Future_Doc

Future_Doc Senior Member

May 15th is when most schools want their classs filled. If you are an alternate or are on a waitlist, you should expect to hear something shortly after that. Don't lose hope!

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    The day that each school begins the first day of classes is usually the last day that you can be sure you're not getting in.

However, I have designated May 10th my panic day, even though it is very likely I will get in in July.

On May 10th I will start studying fot the August MCATS, and I will study hard until I get in. (That's the day of my last final exam)

If you're not in yet, I would also recommend starting a new EC. You don't want to hand in the same amcas application again! :)

6. Dr. Will

Attending Physician
    Although I am not certain if I will matriculate this cycle or not, I have started my backup plan. This unfortunately includes getting ready to reapply. AMCAS is going to be available around May 1, so I think it wouldn't hurt to start getting things together for it (just in case). Doing this helps to get my mind of all the waiting.

7. none

none 1K Member

The main thing is...don't worry about getting in off waitlists until after May 15th!

8. Street Philosopher

it's never time to panic! just suck it up and apply the next year. why panic?

9. opel

opel Senior Member

10. crazygop

crazygop Member

Well, I would say that until you receive final notice from every school, it is not over. There is never a reason to panic - just suck it up and figure out what you are going to do for the next year or two - that's what I did. If you stay on waiting lists, I have heard of students getting in as late as one week into the start of school because someone dropped out. You never know.

11. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    I believe that too because I know of people who get in the week of orientation. In my case with some late interviews, I'm already preparing myself to apply next year even though I have not been rejected by those schools yet. That way, it won't be mid August and not have my app in order. Damn...I really wish I completed my applications earlier this year so I could find out sooner what I'll be doing next year and get on with my life. But its not time to panic just yet.