When is it too early to start studying for the MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiturBinesderty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is it best to start studying for the big test? I'm still a freshmen and I plan on taking the test in April or August of my junior year, do you think I should start studying now or wait a couple months before the test like most people I know. I've been thinking about starting now even though most of my friends laugh at me and tell me that I'm just going to forget everything right before the test.

Members don't see this ad.

I started studying for the MCAT in my mama's womb. She read me o-chem reactions during the third trimester. When I was born, I started shadowing the doctor. It was my first extra-womb-curiccular activity.

Seriously, just try to learn as much as you can from the classes you take - the ones that have to do with MCAT topics. You can start studying from the first day of school, but if you understand the stuff in your pre-reqs, you'll have a much better chance of acing the big test. And read. Read lots of books.

MiturBinesderty said:
When is it best to start studying for the big test? I'm still a freshmen and I plan on taking the test in April or August of my junior year, do you think I should start studying now or wait a couple months before the test like most people I know. I've been thinking about starting now even though most of my friends laugh at me and tell me that I'm just going to forget everything right before the test.

Please don't start studing now, you'll only burn out come Junior year. Just make sure to study and do well in your core pre-med classes. About 4 months before the test date, start studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
The test will be administered more than just those 2 dates when you take it. So you won't have to worry about taking it in just April or August.

Don't "study" for the MCAT now, study your current courses extra hard. That way when you go to "study" for the MCAT about 6-8months before the test you are only REVIEWING.

People somehow think you should cram for the MCAT and relearn everything, but this is not possible if you want to get a good score. Go to the MCAT homepage and download the rubrik for the MCAT exam and make sure that then you get to that particular chapter of your class you put the extra effort into the section.

i started studying december before the april mcat. i did my best to crack the book over winter break and took a course in the spring semester.

well i wish i did a passage a day up till my mcats. i bet i would be really good at it. if i were you, id just do like one verbal passage a day if you really want something to study. pick up an exam krackers 101 passage book and simply do one a day. it will take you like 15 minutes. its equivalent to doing say 20 push ups every day for a year than cramming 200 push ups for 3 months. dont begin on the sciences though until you finished your courses..

started in the summer before the april test. cranked up amount by January. got 26 on first diag, upped it to 37 while taking princeton. not too shabby.

It's never too early to start studying the physical and biological sciences and prepping for the writing component. But I got burnt out trying to cram in all the verbal mock tests and my VR score really suffered. I say study the first three parts I mentioned and don't stress too much about VR because it's all about concentration skills and you don't wanna burn out your focus there...

Get in the habit of reading a lot. Read stuff that you're really interested in, but not just novels and magazines. This will help you on verbal parts of standardized tests, as well as simply not being an illiterate barbarian.

Don't actually start studying for the MCAT until 10 weeks before test day. Use ExamKrackers.

Hi there,
You should be finished with your pre-med coursework by the end of your sophomore year. During your freshman and sophomore years, study for your course exams and master the material.

When you hit the Fall of your junior year, get a couple of MCAT Review books and start to review. Set a schedule on the weekends and spend 3 hours or so reviewing. Do a major review over the holiday between your first and second semester of your junior year then go back to your weekend schedule.

You should be more than prepared by April of your junior year. If you do not feel prepared by the time to register for the April exam (by scores on retired MCAT exams) then put the test off until August but realize that if you take the August exam, your AMCAS application will not be complete until October. If you are a student who needs to apply early, then taking the August exam will place you at a disadvantage.

Also realize that the MCAT will go to computer in 2007 which will open up other days which might not be as late as August. The bottom line: Take this test only ONE time and score well. Do whatever you have to do to get a good solid review. Nothing looks as bad as a string of mediocre MCAT scores even preceeding a good score. Take this test only once and be prepared.

Resist the urge to memorize for the MCAT but rather be able to apply the principles learned in your pre-med courses to the problems that are asked on the MCAT. Learn to be a good problem-solver and not just have a string of things in your head that you cannot apply. Most undergraduate institutions in this country train you to be good memorizers but you have to take the next step and learn to problem-solve and think critically.

Learning to problem-solve is done by practice so get plenty of practice. Retired MCAT exams are available from the MCAT registration site on-line.

Good luck!
njbmd :)

When you should start studying depends on how well you know the subjects that are tested on it. So if you are getting a good education and are taking your classes seriously, then 6 months prior to the test should be fine....

HOWEVER.... it is never to early to PREPARE for the mcats.....ie... you should READ READ READ and read some more...., make sure you understand what the mcats will test you on and how it is formatted and definitely take a look at a practice test.

Read njbmd's reply three more times...it is an excellent well-thought out post and i agree wholeheartedly. For your first 2 years focus on REALLY learning the material in your core prereq classes, and i mean, really learn. That way when it comes time to study in your junior year you only have to REVIEW, not RE-LEARN. Come exam time you'll be uber ready.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Do really well in your physics, gen chem, organic, and biology courses, and give some thought to taking physiology and genetics before the MCAT as well. Read dense material as much as you can to prepare for the VR. I suppose doing some passages several times a week 6-12 months in advance would be a good idea.

LEARN your physics I and II and your Gen Chem in your classes. Then you've knocked out 1/3 of the test before you ever need to start studying for it. You also need to learn your Bio and Orgo, but you'll need more reviewing/studying for that since it is based more on facts than fundamentals.

hwo do you guys read and understand the information in verbal passages quickly, especially when the material is so hard to understand (unfamiliarity). It takes me a couple of minutes of rereading the lines just for my mind to click and realize that I'm not understanding it, so it seems like in order to understand i have to dissect it sentence by sentence (which is not good for a timed test)