When is it too late to ask your PD to make a phone call to your dream program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that I have finished interviewing, I have picked a #1 program and want to have my PD make a phone call for me to that program (and just that program). I have been told that phone calls do often affect your position on the rank list. However, I have frequently heard of programs making their rank lists immediately after they finish interviewing (same day). Does anyone have any idea as to when it is "too late" to have my PD make this phone call?

Members don't see this ad.

Now that I have finished interviewing, I have picked a #1 program and want to have my PD make a phone call for me to that program (and just that program). I have been told that phone calls do often affect your position on the rank list. However, I have frequently heard of programs making their rank lists immediately after they finish interviewing (same day). Does anyone have any idea as to when it is "too late" to have my PD make this phone call?

The earlier the better. Don't have a set answer for when it's too late since each program runs things differently. Even if they make the rank list, there is still room for movement afterwards. Again can't make a general statement though since each program is different...