When is it too late to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeedaBoY

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I got invited for an interview at SUNY Upstate, and their soonest interview dates were next week (um no), the first week of October (can't because I have another interview on that day), and early November. I scheduled the early November one but my friend said that significantly decreased my chances at the school since it's apparently a late interview date. Is that true? When is it too late to interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I got invited for an interview at SUNY Upstate, and their soonest interview dates were next week (um no), the first week of October (can't because I have another interview on that day), and early November. I scheduled the early November one but my friend said that significantly decreased my chances at the school since it's apparently a late interview date. Is that true? When is it too late to interview?

Fwiw adcoms on here have repeatedly said that it does not matter when you Interview. Also November isn’t late to interview.

Reactions: 4 users
At my school, we start getting picky with interviewees in Mar/Apr.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school is never picky. (Oh, but we are very picky. :rolleyes: ) We tend to make offers at a steady rate all through the cycle. While it used to be that quality fell off late in the cycle, that doesn't happen anymore with the rare exception of a courtesy interview (<2% of interviewed candidates).

November is a perfectly reasonable time of year for an interview.

Reactions: 5 users
My school is never picky. (Oh, but we are very picky. :rolleyes: ) We tend to make offers at a steady rate all through the cycle. While it used to be that quality fell off late in the cycle, that doesn't happen anymore with the rare exception of a courtesy interview (<2% of interviewed candidates).

November is a perfectly reasonable time of year for an interview.

Out of curiosity, are courtesy interviews generally extended towards the end of the cycle?

Out of curiosity, are courtesy interviews generally extended towards the end of the cycle?

At my school they are. I suspect that some people (VIPs of one sort or another) come to the Dean toward the end of the cycle asking that an applicant be considered (most likely because the applicant had hoped to get in without a special consideration but has been unsuccessful).

Reactions: 1 users
Typically, if your interview is on a Monday, then Tuesday would be too late to interview

Reactions: 8 users
I interviewed at a school in January. I'm an MS3 at said school now. Others I interviewed with, same story.

Reactions: 1 user