When is it too late to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

09javcar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of freaking out right now! :scared: I've already begun my Freshman year and I'm taking my prerequisite courses, which include; Composition 1, General Physics, Principles of Cell and Molecular Biology, and French 1 just cause. :) I couldn't fit in General Chemistry 1 into my schedule because all classes where full by the time I noticed. GRRRR, now I'm worried that I won't be able to get in all my prerequisite courses in before the end of my Sophomore year. So my question is. Would it be okay to wait until the following fall, or take it in the spring (or how over the MCAT test dates work)? I will be in my Junior year of College by then. Does this look bad when applying to Med-School? :eek: I need some clarification here. :scared: Really scared!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You're still a freshman, you have plenty of time. Medical schools don't really care when you take the MCAT except if your score is expired. Take it in the summer of your junior year, shortly after you graduate, or whenever. The key is that you only take the MCAT after you've completed your pre-reqs and when you're ready. Lastly, most people take the MCAT the summer of their junior year, though I suggest shortly after you graduate.

You're still a freshman, you have plenty of time. Medical schools don't really care when you take the MCAT except if your score is expired. Take it in the summer of your junior year, shortly after you graduate, or whenever. The key is that you only take the MCAT after you've completed your pre-reqs and when you're ready. Lastly, most people take the MCAT the summer of their junior year, though I suggest shortly after you graduate.

Thank you, Also thanks for the great advice you've given everyone with the schedule set up you've made. Hopefully that'll help me when it's my turn to take the dreaded MCAT :eek:. Well I have another question if you don't mind answering it. I'm attending a community college. Would it be wise to take all or almost all of my prerequisite courses at the CC, or should I try and transfer to a 4yr U as soon as possible? :)