When is the best month to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdla

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for 2008?

Members don't see this ad.

Going based on what I've heard about prior years, April is the best time of year to take the MCAT. A lot of people will be trying to take classes and study for the MCAT simultaneously, so naturally this will cut into their MCAT studying which could potentially increase the curve. (Though I'm basing this on hearsay). Plus you'll have your scores back by the end of May, and will be ready to apply with everything ready in the beginning of June.

Going based on what I've heard about prior years, April is the best time of year to take the MCAT. A lot of people will be trying to take classes and study for the MCAT simultaneously, so naturally this will cut into their MCAT studying which could potentially increase the curve. (Though I'm basing this on hearsay). Plus you'll have your scores back by the end of May, and will be ready to apply with everything ready in the beginning of June.

that doesn't make sense... if everyone's studying, only the people who are sitting on their butts doing nothing would do better.. if what you're saying it true, what guarantees that you won't be one of those people helping the curve for someone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
the best month to take the mcat is the month that you'll be ready for it.

I second this! Do NOT take the test until you've scored in the region where you want to score! There are stories of miracle scores on the MCAT...just don't plan to jump 5+ points on MCAT day because you prayed the night before. Speaking from experience here! Bottom line...take it when you are ready...not when your parents/friends/advisors tell you that you need to take it.

Disclaimer: The longer you wait in the year (July, Aug, Sept)...the farther your application gets pushed back in the pile. If you don't take the MCAT early (Jan, April, May, June), then at least make sure that you submit AMCAS early (June, July). This will ensure that your AMCAS is verified by the time that you receive your MCAT scores.

good luck!