When is the best time to ask for a LoR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems I have no choice but to ask professors that may or may not remember me from my previous in-person year. I went to office hours often and asked questions often. They simply had a lot of students (200-300). So I'm considering emailing a few professors I had last year that I interacted with and asking for letters from them, stating that I did well in their class and attended their office hours often.

A couple of these professors are likely preparing to teach zoom for winter quarter and I wonder if they might be too busy right now. I also don't have anything prepared (personal statement, CV, etc) to give to them though I can suggest a zoom meeting if they have questions they'd like to ask me. Alternatively if I wait to ask, I wonder if they would be more likely to forget me after dealing with a new round of students.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about how busy your professors might be. They've always got something on their plate. It's always best to ask for the letter soon after the course is over so (s)he'll remember you better.

You may want to reconsider asking this type of professor for a letter. If I was reading your LoR and it said "this student did well in my class and frequented office hours" I'd shrug. It definitely wouldn't hurt your application, but it would not help either.

If possible, try to identify writers who could personalize the letter with specific anecdotes and speak to your character. I know this is easier said than done (believe me, I was in a college with 40k+ students). Maybe you could do a research project with one of your professors? Or TA for them.

Reactions: 1 user
You may want to reconsider asking this type of professor for a letter. If I was reading your LoR and it said "this student did well in my class and frequented office hours" I'd shrug. It definitely wouldn't hurt your application, but it would not help either.

If possible, try to identify writers who could personalize the letter with specific anecdotes and speak to your character. I know this is easier said than done (believe me, I was in a college with 40k+ students). Maybe you could do a research project with one of your professors? Or TA for them.
You forget that the Universities are entirely remote, have been and will continue to be for some time. These professors continue to teach 200-400 student lectures. Undergraduate research has been discontinued.

I have absolutely no other choice.