Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

When is the best time to move to USUHS?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by FizbanZymogen, Mar 22, 2007.

1. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion

Medical Student
    When is the best time to get your stuff together and head out to the Bethesda area. I have heard from some people in my family who have made this very move (7 years ago) that it took the army a little over a month to get their stuff out to D.C. Growing up in the Air Force I recall our moves only taking a week or so and never over a month (even when we moved to England). Any help planning this move would be great. Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Re3iRtH

Re3iRtH Member

Medical Student
    Great Post.

I would also be interested as well. Also if you arent already
    attending USUHS or did, please post when you plan to move
    for all those attending for Fall 2007.

4. fisher

fisher Junior Member

I am interested in this information too.

5. mac61

mac61 Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My family (wife + 3) moved here in July, which gave us a little time to look around. Unfortunately, we came from Germany, so our household goods didn't arrive until late September (most of my friends who moved here from the states got thier stuff in Aug, and used the time during the first week of inprocessing to receive thier goods).

I truly think the hardest things about moving here are the following, mostly because of the time crunch to find a place:

1) Location - This area is chock full of good neighborhoods next to bad neighborhoods, with no rhyme or reason. We live in a really nice neighborhood, that is about a mile from a not-so-nice area. I have kids, so the neighborhood was a big factor for us; most of the single folk and non-child rearing folk didn't have to think about it as much (my class mate without kids lives in the aforementioned not-so-nice area and says it's fine).

2) Location - Inside the beltway , outside the beltway, near campus (Bethesda, Kensington, Forest Glen), far from campus (Gaithersburg, Germantown). I don't know what the right answer is. I live about 6 miles from school, and it takes 20-45 minutes to commute depending on traffic; friends in Gaithersburg have the same commute time, but on the freeway. A couple people live in the neighborhood right across the street from the school and walk in, tough to find though.

3) Location - It really seems like the closer to school you are, the more expensive the rent is. The toss up becomes live really close and pay a lot or live far away and pay a lot, but not quite as much. I'm sure there's a middle ground, but most people don't find it. Quite a few people bought, and no one payed less than 250K (condo) that I know of, but we were at the top of the housing bubble that is slowly popping. Everything is expensive.

Bottom line: Give yourself enough time to find a good deal, beacuse it is VERY expensive no matter what you do.

6. mac61

mac61 Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
  7. FizbanZymogen

FizbanZymogen Guitar Hero Champion

Medical Student
    thanks for the info Mac, but I'm a little more interested in "when" we should have our stuff moved out of our current house and sent to D.C. I want to know how long it takes to get moved from the Northwest to the D.C. area with the Army. Any other stories or advice is welcome.

8. mac61

mac61 Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My bad. Took a little more than 30 days from overseas for me. Anywhere from 2 weeks to 30 days from the west coast according to others I've spoken with. Definitely call your local transportation office (does not have to be Army, I moved from AZ to Germany out of an AFB) as soon as you have orders, they'll give you a really good idea. More or less though, if you ship your goods right before you go to OBC, your stuff will be waiting for you in DC when you get here.

9. cyclegirl

cyclegirl Senior Member

In the Navy moving from WA to NC it took about 2 weeks. WA to southern CA took about a week. It really depends if you get a good moving company and driver. They can make the experience really good or bad for you. Good luck with the move.

10. backrow

backrow 60% of the time it works everytime
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I moved from the south to DC. They came and picked my stuff up in late june early July and I drove up on July 3rd. If I remember correctly my stuff was there within two weeks if not less.

I enjoyed having the time in July to get to know the area and really settle in before orientation/classes started.

11. fisher

fisher Junior Member

I was wondering about the logistics of the actual move. Can they move our stuff from storage unit to storage unit? Do we have to be physically present when they pick up or drop off the stuff? Is the work contracted out to a number of different private companies?