When is the best time to send a LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitCommiserate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If waitlist movement doesn't begin until around May 15th, should I send a LOI around that time or as soon as possible? (I would hate to send one now and have it get lost in the pile)

Also, I am waiting to hear back from a school in the next few weeks, should I send a LOI asap, or wait until I hear the decision? I would hate for the letter to pull me down in any way....(I'm not sure why it would, but since they don't expect any correspondence from us until "6-8 weeks" after the interview, I would hate to annoy them).....Could someone give me some insight? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why an early LOI could hurt. IMO, it could only help. I say, do it now.

bmcgilligan said:
I don't see why an early LOI could hurt. IMO, it could only help. I say, do it now.

Since my interview at my top choice in December I've sent 2 additional letters of recommendation (from my work supervisor and my thesis advisor), as well as 2 letters of intent. I'd say I've just about harrassed them enough but they made it clear that anything that flags your file is a good thing. Some schools do stipulate not to send anything so be careful because it does depend on the school. Now I'm just wondering when to send one final letter: just before May 15th or immediately after?

Members don't see this ad :)
What does IMO mean?

bmcgilligan said:

WaitCommiserate said:
What does IMO mean?

In My Opinion. IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

I'm thinking about sending a letter of intent to one school but part of me wants to hold out for an interview at ucla or loma linda...

This is tough.

Medikit said:
I'm thinking about sending a letter of intent to one school but part of me wants to hold out for an interview at ucla or loma linda...

This is tough.

send a letter of intent with a contingency footnote :laugh:

derf said:
send a letter of intent with a contingency footnote :laugh:

:laugh:

What I would really like to do is send schools a letter stating:

"I regret to inform you that you are not currently my top choice. However, that spot might open up soon, as I progressively give up hope at the schools I really want to attend! After careful consideration of your qualifications, your school has been placed in the second quintile of my high-priority alternate list."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Penelope1 said:
:laugh:

What I would really like to do is send schools a letter stating:

"I regret to inform you that you are not currently my top choice. However, that spot might open up soon, as I progressively give up hope at the schools I really want to attend! After careful consideration of your qualifications, your school has been placed in the second quintile of my high-priority alternate list."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: NICE!