When is the best time to send an LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since waitlists don't move until May/June, should I send in my LOI now or wait until April-ish? I would hate to have my letter read and forgotten under the pile when movement comes around.

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from one school post-interview. It's been 7 weeks since my interview and I am getting a bit antsy. Is it okay to send an LOI prior to receiving any type of decision? I would hate to have anything bring down my app.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm basing this on really nothing solid, but here's what I think. the LOI will be put in your file when you send it in and not really read by whoever you send it too specifically. When your filed is reviewed, it will be just another part of your application, so it doesn't really matter when you send it, as it will be looked at at the appropriate time regardless.

at least, that's what I hope happens as I sent mine in way before waitlists are out

Since waitlists don't move until May/June, should I send in my LOI now or wait until April-ish? I would hate to have my letter read and forgotten under the pile when movement comes around.

Also, I'm waiting to hear back from one school post-interview. It's been 7 weeks since my interview and I am getting a bit antsy. Is it okay to send an LOI prior to receiving any type of decision? I would hate to have anything bring down my app.

Send it in now so it's in your app if and when it gets reviewed. I would also send a letter to the school you're waiting on. I sent one right after I interviewed, and I got in, so it certainly doesn't hurt your app. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think about giving a LOI at the interview? My home school is my dream school and there is no doubt in my mind that I would attend if accepted. I was thinking about submitting a LOI not long after my application is sent or if I get an interview, handing one to my interviewer. What is the school of though here?

When it's not that time of the month

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E66FxJnVVxE[/YOUTUBE]

Not a good idea! At a presentation to our school, an adcom said that an interviewee wrote her thank you notes in the conference room and left them with the secretary on her way out -- and they viewed it as not genuine.

Send it when you leave the campus.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again... Thank you notes are completely and utterly worthless. My mathematics are irefutable, as detailed below:

Out of the 3 schools I sent thank you letters to, I ultimately was accepted to none.

Out of the 3 schools I did not send thank you letters to, I was accepted to all 3.

Checkmate.

I'll say it once, I'll say it again... Thank you notes are completely and utterly worthless. My mathematics are irefutable, as detailed below:

Out of the 3 schools I sent thank you letters to, I ultimately was accepted to none.

Out of the 3 schools I did not send thank you letters to, I was accepted to all 3.

Checkmate.

I believe OP was referring to a LOI, not a thank you letter.

Checkmate.

It can't be worthless and regardless of an acceptance or not it shows your persistence and how bad you want it.

A thank you letter/LOI, what is the reason behind it? When to give one, and to whom?

A thank you letter/LOI, what is the reason behind it? When to give one, and to whom?

A thank you letter is sent post-interview to your interviewer. Generally, you thank them for their time, reiterate your interest in their school, and mention a memorable point or two from your interview. It's not necessary to send one and many, myself included, have gotten accepted to a school after not having sent one. However, it is a kind gesture and if you do end up matriculating, you may well have your interviewer as an instructor.

A letter of interest is generally sent to the dean of admissions, either pre- or post-interview, to express your love for a particular school and why you'd be a great fit for their program. You can send a letter of interest to more than one school, letting them know they're one of your top choices. A letter of intent is similar to a letter of interest, but should be sent to your absolute top choice and states that if given the opportunity, you will definitely attend that school over any other school. Technically, it's non-binding, but you should only be sending it if you know you'd go to school X without hesitation if accepted. You don't want to burn any bridges.