When is the best time to start studying for the USMLE step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlondeCookie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to start studying for the USMLE step 1? And any Med students save their old Biology, Chem, or any other old books from pre-med years?

Members don't see this ad.

BlondeCookie said:
When is the best time to start studying for the USMLE step 1? And any Med students save their old Biology, Chem, or any other old books from pre-med years?

That would be futile. You should "start" when you step foot in the door of your medical school but most people don't really "start going hard" until about the 2nd semester of their second year. This is generally what most people do. Some get gung-ho earlier, some just after 2nd year is over.

I started the second semester of my first year. I read the pertinent sections of First Aid while studying for physiology. I also used the BRS Phys book as a review in addition to class notes. Using these sources may or may not have helped during the coursework, but when I went to really review for Step I in May, I was familiar with them. I felt much more comfortable having seen the information before.

I would recommend just skimming the review books while studying for your courses. It can't hurt you, and you'll be that more ready for the big test.

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=20049323