When is the best time to take my DAT? And do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parichan28

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to be a second year at UCI and I am thinking about taking a year off from school after I graduate from college. After that, I plan to apply for dental school. Would taking the DAT in the middle of my third year seems appropriate, or would it be better to take my DATs during the year after college that I will be taking off after college -- so in that way, I have more time to dedicate my time to study for the DAT/ PAT rather than during the school year? And I am also curious if there is any chance WATSOEVER for me to get into dental school in the future. I am proceeding to be a 2nd year at UCI, with a GPA of 2.56. I understand that my GPA is low, but within these three years, is there any chance that I can raise up my GPA by then to be qualified for dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh another UCI undergrad. I'm a UCI alum class of 2012, this year. If you get Straight As and only some Bs for your last 3 years. you should be set to around a 3.3. so study hard and do your DATs later after you have your GPA set above a 3.0.

You have to apply to dental school right after you graduate (fourth year) in June. During your gap year you will go on interviews and then hopefully get acceptances in December of that year. I would take the DAT your fourth year so that you have already taken most of the sciences on the exam.

If you get your GPA up to above 3.0 and do well on your DATS and have good extracurriculars you'll be fine.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
You have to apply to dental school right after you graduate (fourth year) in June. During your gap year you will go on interviews and then hopefully get acceptances in December of that year. I would take the DAT your fourth year so that you have already taken most of the sciences on the exam.

If you get your GPA up to above 3.0 and do well on your DATS and have good extracurriculars you'll be fine.