When is the best time to take Praxis in 4-year Aud program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemynerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am 1.5 years into a 4-year Aud program, and will be finishing all of my classes in another 7 months, which is the end of summer 2013. I am wondering when is the best time to take my Praxis exam, the end of my 2nd year? Or, then end of 3rd year? The 3rd year will be the time for capstone and internship.

Anyone with experiences, please help.

Thanks much.

Members don't see this ad.

I would aim to take it in your 3rd year - I wouldn't wait too long. Only half of our class has passed it on the first try and I think it's more difficult when you are not used to studying this intensely for something (meaning not studying when you are doing externship/residency and have already completed your research). My motto: earlier the better...but don't go crazy, lol. I would say 3rd year.

I would aim to take it in your 3rd year - I wouldn't wait too long. Only half of our class has passed it on the first try and I think it's more difficult when you are not used to studying this intensely for something (meaning not studying when you are doing externship/residency and have already completed your research). My motto: earlier the better...but don't go crazy, lol. I would say 3rd year.
Thanks mzpoirot. Most of students in our school are taking on their 4th year, so I felt like I am a bit too early. But, I kind of want to see how everything is so I know what to study for, although it is not recommended by our professor. I agree with you, taking it while I can remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say third year. Half of us took it Fall of our third year and half took it in Spring of our third year.

My class took it in January of 3rd year. The catch was that we hadn't had any coursework in APD or CIs at that time. Even with that disadvantage, we all did quite well. The actual score doesn't matter much, as it doesn't get reported to prospective employers. It only matters that you pass.

I do think it helped to have one semester of 3rd year under our belts. We also had oral comps and capstone looming over us, and it was a lot. But I don't think I would have felt ready as a 2nd year.

I heard the passing rate nationally for the new Prasix in quite low. It was around 54% or something around there last time I heard. Didn't know how much truth in it, but it did make me re-think of taking it early.

Thanks for your input. It definitely would be better to take on third year after some experience. How was their impression of the new Prasix? Basics? More complicated? I was told that it was all about the basics, and "don't over think". Good to know that most of you did pretty well. :)

My class took it in January of 3rd year. The catch was that we hadn't had any coursework in APD or CIs at that time. Even with that disadvantage, we all did quite well. The actual score doesn't matter much, as it doesn't get reported to prospective employers. It only matters that you pass.

I do think it helped to have one semester of 3rd year under our belts. We also had oral comps and capstone looming over us, and it was a lot. But I don't think I would have felt ready as a 2nd year.
:)

Granted I studied quite a lot, but I didn't think it was very hard. Our program required us to pass before we started extern year. Since we hadn't had some of the classes, we asked our department for a crash course in cochlear implants and APD.

Pass rates given in this ASHA document. http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/PraxisScoresAud.pdf
The new exam is definitely harder to pass. I would say to take the exam after you have taken all of your classes but while they are still fresh in your head. Don't wait until the end of the 4th year.
THanks for the input. I was thinking the same. It definitely helps when my memory is still fresh. :)