When is the cost of Dental School too high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmcner

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is mainly for practicing dentists who really have an idea of living/business costs of a dentist. At what price do you think that dental school will be unaffordable. Tuition keeps going up. Several schools are above $400,000 at this point. At what dollar value do you think dental school will be unaffordable in comparison with the income of the profession? And would advise your kids if they wanted to be dentists to go into the profession if they had to take a $400,000 loan to do so and buy/build a practice on their own?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a really, really tough question to answer. If you make decent money working for someone else, then all the loans will wipe you out, making saving difficult and thus not a worthy endeavor. If you make lots of money at your own practice, then your loan interest is not deductible, and Obama plans to cap your business deduction and mortgage deduction at 28% while making you pay up to 65% of your income in fed/state/local/selfemployment taxes; so again it's not worth it. You simpy have to love your work.

That's a really, really tough question to answer. If you make decent money working for someone else, then all the loans will wipe you out, making saving difficult and thus not a worthy endeavor. If you make lots of money at your own practice, then your loan interest is not deductible, and Obama plans to cap your business deduction and mortgage deduction at 28% while making you pay up to 65% of your income in fed/state/local/selfemployment taxes; so again it's not worth it. You simpy have to love your work.

I believe by the time I graduate, Obama will be fresh out of office. :laugh: No business deduction cap and 65% tax bracket for me

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe by the time I graduate, Obama will be fresh out of office. :laugh: No business deduction cap and 65% tax bracket for me

I believe otherwise. He is immensely popular with many voters and the likelihood is high that he will be a two-termer.

Thank you for your responses, but is there any way that we could go back to the original question instead of starting another political thread?

Thats a good question. Which school is $400,000?
BUMP!

Thats a good question. Which school is $400,000?
BUMP!
This is over all cost. Tuition is about $60,000/year, Equipment is about $4,000/year, Books are about $1000 per year, Living is about $22,000 per year. So based on USC's numbers $240,000+$16,000+$4000+$88,000 = $348,000 plus any undergrad loans you may have. I would say these numbers are similar (give or take) at NYU, BU, Tufts, UNLV, and Western just to name a few of the schools that I've looked at.

... At what dollar value do you think dental school will be unaffordable in comparison with the income of the profession? ...?

$400,000 at 30 years at current interest rates is around 2800 per month. Make no mistake... that is a huge loan payment... your first 1 - 3 years out of school could tough going. Not to say you'd be starving or anything but you might be holding off on any large purchases for several years until you get your income up so that 2800 per month doesn't hurt you so much. Making 150 out of school would allow you to rent a decent home and make a reasonable new car payment and keep up with that student loan.

However, notice the example I provide has you working in private practice out of school (or out of residency)... most 90k a year public health jobs wouldn't work for you. So in that sense you may have fewer options.

But it doesn't have to be 400,000... there is a lot of scholarship money out there if you're agressive... I think a non minority student (ie white guy) might be able to reduce that number by 20% by investigating scholarships and applying for everything.

Also consider the military scholarships if you think you could be happy for 4 years as an dental officer. Also there is the public health scholarships, IHS, NHSC scholarships...but you need to apply as soon as you get in because they take time to process and get awarded.

Get into the most inexpensive school, but if you don't its still worth it to graduate with 400,000 in debt. Basically the more expensive the school the harder your first earning years are and the fewer options you have on where you want to work.

Looking in retrospect and my current situation, YES! Looking 10 years from now, NO one knows what the future may hold in any financial situation because past performance is never a guarantee of future returns.

This is a great question. I personally think 400,000 is ridiculous, and at this time I am not sure it is worth it. The future of healthcare is uncertain, and coincidentally so is your ability to repay the loan. You will likely be able to repay the loan, even if you are making less than the average dentist, say 125K. But, that will be a tough check to write, and my guess is most will be disgruntled and think they got ripped off. I believe you have to factor in additional criteria. This in no way is meant to be chauvinistic, but women work fewer hours in a week and their length of career is shorter. So I think if you have any question as to length of your career, me it male or female, this really needs to be addressed.

None of my friends from D-School have indicated to me that they are not able to pay off their debt, but they all agree that the payment is far more difficult than anticipated. With the exception of one, all are living within their means, and none have fancy cars or homes to show of yet. Also, we graduated with about 150K, not 400 K!

This question is mainly for practicing dentists who really have an idea of living/business costs of a dentist. At what price do you think that dental school will be unaffordable. Tuition keeps going up. Several schools are above $400,000 at this point. At what dollar value do you think dental school will be unaffordable in comparison with the income of the profession? And would advise your kids if they wanted to be dentists to go into the profession if they had to take a $400,000 loan to do so and buy/build a practice on their own?
I think the correct answer to the question is.... it depends.

If you/your kids decided to sign-up for military scholarship (ie airforce, navy, NSHC, etc) - you can have zero debt by serving the 4 years they paid for your tuition and living back. I believe more and more people will opt to cover the cost through this route as tuition and cost of living continue to rise, specially for private schools.

You can also do the old fashion way, work and play hard to pay back the loans the first 5-10 years out, or spread it over 30 years (live like a student few yrs vs. pay more interest than the principal itself) Either way, this option is starting to become very scary for new students, as interest rates continue to remain high.

Assuming you don't specialize (which could be another $100-200k for certain specialties), you might qualify for loan forgiveness programs at your home state; anywhere between $15-25k a year, but this requires you to work in underserved areas.

With tuition been rising 5%/yr for the past decade, I predict $500-600k to be the average debt for many programs in 2020. :D

I think the correct answer to the question is.... it depends.

If you/your kids decided to sign-up for military scholarship (ie airforce, navy, NSHC, etc) - you can have zero debt by serving the 4 years they paid for your tuition and living back. I believe more and more people will opt to cover the cost through this route as tuition and cost of living continue to rise, specially for private schools.

You can also do the old fashion way, work and play hard to pay back the loans the first 5-10 years out, or spread it over 30 years (live like a student few yrs vs. pay more interest than the principal itself) Either way, this option is starting to become very scary for new students, as interest rates continue to remain high.

Assuming you don't specialize (which could be another $100-200k for certain specialties), you might qualify for loan forgiveness programs at your home state; anywhere between $15-25k a year, but this requires you to work in underserved areas.

With tuition been rising 5%/yr for the past decade, I predict $500-600k to be the average debt for many programs in 2020. :D

Anyone who ends up going to NYU should sign up for this asap. One heck of a deal since NYU tuition, cost of living, and your stipend together makes 100k a year for the 4 years of dental school. Plus the 40k you'll make a year + about 20k worth for free housing, health insurance and all the other military benefits working for them for the next four years out, that'll mean you're making 160k a year as soon as you get out. Military will bust you're @$$ but its quite a deal.

Members don't see this ad :)

So let's do the math here:
How much is it REALLY going to cost with interest, and how much are monthly payments going to be?

$400,000 loan, 20 years to pay off yields a MONTHLY payment of $3,053.36. (http://www.mortgagecalculator.org/) VERY nice tools, just eliminate PMI and property tax.

So, by the time things are said and done, you will have paid $732,805.95 for your education. The real question is, how many years of working as a dentist did this cost you?

Let's assume that, starting from day one, and averaging your salary for those 20 years, you averaged $145,000 (b/c you didn't make that much your first 5 years, but started making more the last 15)

$732,000/$145,000= ~5 years

Considering school takes 4 years, going to a school that costs $400,000 is going to consume, monetarily, ~9 years of your career. Assuming you are around 24, and work 25 years, that's a little more than a 3rd of your career.

I don't know when too much is TOO much, but just look at the numbers and you should be able to make a decision.

Personally, I would go with the cheaper option, even if it meant I had to wait another year (or maybe even two at that!)

Personally, I would go with the cheaper option, even if it meant I had to wait another year (or maybe even two at that!)

With the way tuition rates are inflating at pretty much every school each year, the difference would probably disappear after a few years of waiting to get in, and then you have to figure in the opportunity cost.

hi there....

I would like to find low cost dental care in O.C,but the one l find on the net is called Medical Discounts International,Inc, l don't believe it's a government program and l have my reservations.

Is government programs better than private ones? Any agencies that are reliable and good? Thanks.

I think its a difficult question to be answered.But I really want to know.If anybodies know please do share it with me.

hi there....

I would like to find low cost dental care in O.C,but the one l find on the net is called Medical Discounts International,Inc, l don't believe it's a government program and l have my reservations.

Is it Orange County, CA you're talking about? You should be able to get it really really, cheap compare to everywhere else. My friend got a bunch of composite fillings for $20 each. My uncle got a crown for $300 bucks. Go ask any of your Mexican, Chinese, Vnmese, Filipino friends to get you one of their ethnic magazines; I saw ads in there for $200 scaling/root planing and such.

Don't get those cheap discount programs or crappy government programs. You'll likely end up not being seen for a long time or pay a lot extra anyway. Walk into one of those ethnic enclave and talk cash if you want it cheap.

Anyone who ends up going to NYU should sign up for this asap. One heck of a deal since NYU tuition, cost of living, and your stipend together makes 100k a year for the 4 years of dental school. Plus the 40k you'll make a year + about 20k worth for free housing, health insurance and all the other military benefits working for them for the next four years out, that'll mean you're making 160k a year as soon as you get out. Military will bust you're @$$ but its quite a deal.

just a side note, for all of you who don't know, the 20k bonus for the military scholarship is OPTIONAL, and for those who decide to take it, it will cost you an extra year in the military. just a heads up

The military only pays for tuition as far as I know.. not living expenses.

anyone care to confirm or deny?

I'm on the air force 4yr scholarship for dental school and the military covers everything required for school ie, books, loupes, health insurance etc. They also pay a stipend of $1900/ month. With tuition being what it is at dental school, this has been one of the best decisions I've made. Not to mention the reputation of the military's dental training/residencies, which are top-notch. You are able to serve your country doing dentistry, get to travel around a little bit, it's a fantastic deal if you are willing to deal with the pros/cons of being in the military.

One thing that is not talked about enough regarding military scholarships, is the training after school. The residencies are great, but above and beyond that, your first years practicing in the military are patient/quality dentistry oriented without the pressures of focusing on pt volume/efficiency. The alternative is opening up a new practice or an associateship. Both of these situations bring the pressure of needing to see lots of pts to make more money (for your office bills or for your employer's pocket.

FYI I have no relatives who were in the military or military background, just felt like this was the best decision long term.

As long as there are enrollees who are willing to spend $400K of readily available money without any hesitation, private dental schools will not have a hard time commanding whatever fees they need to stay in business. The main problem appears to stem from the belief that once out of dental school, we will be like Mr. Scrooge, swimming in the dough. Contrary to popular belief (on SDN), the closing of dental schools in the late 80s/ mid 90s had less to do with a decrease in the (total) number of applicants and more to do with the decrease in the number of applicants willing to go into debt.

Last edited:
I'm on the air force 4yr scholarship for dental school and the military covers everything required for school ie, books, loupes, health insurance etc. They also pay a stipend of $1900/ month. With tuition being what it is at dental school, this has been one of the best decisions I've made. Not to mention the reputation of the military's dental training/residencies, which are top-notch. You are able to serve your country doing dentistry, get to travel around a little bit, it's a fantastic deal if you are willing to deal with the pros/cons of being in the military.

One thing that is not talked about enough regarding military scholarships, is the training after school. The residencies are great, but above and beyond that, your first years practicing in the military are patient/quality dentistry oriented without the pressures of focusing on pt volume/efficiency. The alternative is opening up a new practice or an associateship. Both of these situations bring the pressure of needing to see lots of pts to make more money (for your office bills or for your employer's pocket.

FYI I have no relatives who were in the military or military background, just felt like this was the best decision long term.

Hey, I'm currently applying (actually waiting for a response since everything is completed) for the AF HPSP. When did you hear back from them?

With the way tuition rates are inflating at pretty much every school each year, the difference would probably disappear after a few years of waiting to get in, and then you have to figure in the opportunity cost.

Well, assuming tuition raises 5% a year (very liberal estimate), that's still only an increase of around 10.25% over two years.
Considering that some private schools cost around twice as much as some state schools and that both would experience increases, it would be much wiser, monetarily speaking, to go with the cheaper option.

Well, assuming tuition raises 5% a year (very liberal estimate), that's still only an increase of around 10.25% over two years.
Considering that some private schools cost around twice as much as some state schools and that both would experience increases, it would be much wiser, monetarily speaking, to go with the cheaper option.

You can't forget opportunity cost, as I mentioned above. It would have to be a massive difference in cost to offset both the tuition increase and opportunity cost of another year or two of sitting on the sidelines.

And I am one of those people who whose 1st priority is to get into the cheapest school that I can.

Now if you are only talking about getting into Columbia, USC, or one of the ridiculously expensive schools but waiting a year and getting instate tuition at a cheap state school, then it starts to make financial sense. But if you are including examples in which the decision is between a $400,000 school and a $300,000 dollar school, I don't see the advantage in waiting a year.

But then again, I wouldn't even think about going to schools that cost that much, so my opinion probably shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
- I'm from Canada and am curious what is considered inexpensive in-state tuition? (I thought my tuition was high, but $400,000 seems absolutely ridiculous)

You can't forget opportunity cost, as I mentioned above. It would have to be a massive difference in cost to offset both the tuition increase and opportunity cost of another year or two of sitting on the sidelines.

And I am one of those people who whose 1st priority is to get into the cheapest school that I can.

Now if you are only talking about getting into Columbia, USC, or one of the ridiculously expensive schools but waiting a year and getting instate tuition at a cheap state school, then it starts to make financial sense. But if you are including examples in which the decision is between a $400,000 school and a $300,000 dollar school, I don't see the advantage in waiting a year.

But then again, I wouldn't even think about going to schools that cost that much, so my opinion probably shouldn't matter.

Yeah, if you are going to pay $300,000, then I guess you might as well pay $400,000. I agree with you completely.

I think we need some federal or local investigations to find out why they keep jacking up the price so much. I mean, it's not like professors are making ton more money each year, the cost of everything has gone down significantly over the past couple years (deflation) and yet dental school is almost double what it was just 8-9 years ago.

I'm not saying the school administration or deans are taking the money and living it up. I think the money is going somewhere though.

Think about it, NYU tuition is around $75k as I recall. Multiply this by 300 students per class times four classes (plus a fifth for the one year required residency) you get $90,000,000 per year this school takes in. $90 million. I know the cost of running the builing in manhattan is expensive, but this is rediculous. Nyu probably has the most justification in charging so much since they're in an expensive place. What about the countless other schools that are in way less expensive areas that charge almost as much?

I think we need some federal or local investigations to find out why they keep jacking up the price so much. I mean, it's not like professors are making ton more money each year, the cost of everything has gone down significantly over the past couple years (deflation) and yet dental school is almost double what it was just 8-9 years ago.

I'm not saying the school administration or deans are taking the money and living it up. I think the money is going somewhere though.

Think about it, NYU tuition is around $75k as I recall. Multiply this by 300 students per class times four classes (plus a fifth for the one year required residency) you get $90,000,000 per year this school takes in. $90 million. I know the cost of running the builing in manhattan is expensive, but this is rediculous. Nyu probably has the most justification in charging so much since they're in an expensive place. What about the countless other schools that are in way less expensive areas that charge almost as much?

for usc, the money goes to the football team

The military only pays for tuition as far as I know.. not living expenses.

anyone care to confirm or deny?
false!

~$1900 a month, they pay for books, and some of your equipment.

i'm not on this scholarship, but we have army, airforce, and navy all in our class on military scholarship and this is what they get.

I'm wrestling with the same question.

I'm a Massachusetts resident, and, as far as I know, Mass doesn't have a relationship with any other state school that grants in-state rates. This means I'm looking at a Tufts or BU type school.

It's unfortunate that Mass residents don't have an inexpensive dental school option.

Since UConn is the only public dental school in New England, they have 3 different rates: the rate for CT, the rate for the rest of New England, and the rate for everyone else. Also, some public dental schools (including UConn) allow students to get in-state tuition after the first year if you change your residency to that state. It's hard to find a complete list of schools allowing this, but if you search through this forum you will find some of them.

And I'd love to hear more dentists discuss if they think dental school is worth $400k in debt...

Since UConn is the only public dental school in New England, they have 3 different rates: the rate for CT, the rate for the rest of New England, and the rate for everyone else. Also, some public dental schools (including UConn) allow students to get in-state tuition after the first year if you change your residency to that state. It's hard to find a complete list of schools allowing this, but if you search through this forum you will find some of them.

And I'd love to hear more dentists discuss if they think dental school is worth $400k in debt...[/QUOTE]

I would guess, but don't know, that most of them would say it isn't, especially when there are other options. Most of the dentists we know probably paid around 25% of what we paid.

Now, there are a lot of justified reasons for this (for materials, more people, more expenses, inflation, more facilities, COL adjustments, etc..), but they got a "deal" considering their earning potential was, time adjusted, proportionally the same.

I think its a difficult question to be answered.But I really want to know.If anybodies know please do share it with me.
A friend of mine created the following list, and it shows the cost end of dental education is not expected to slow down.

Tuition increased from 08/09 to 09/10 at about 5% on average for private schools, also increasing total cost at record levels at each program. Here are the top 10.

1. USC up 4.8% to $105k/yr
2. UOP up 5.4% to $96k/yr
3. NYU up 4.5% to $95k/yr
4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
5. UPenn up 5% to $87k/yr
5. Tufts up 4.6% to $87k/yr
6. Temple up 4.9% to $86k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr
8. Pitts up 5.3% to $81k/yr
9. Case up 6.7% to $79k/yr
10. Columbia up 3% to $76k/yr

Expect UOP and NYU to join the $100k club in a year or 2. :thumbup:

A recent ADA salary survey for practicing dentists showed that owner dentists average income goes up 2-3% every year, to $206k/yr in 2007. So maybe it's still worth to get into this profession.

As they say, you have to spend money to make money.

A friend of mine created the following list, and it shows the cost end of dental education is not expected to slow down.

Tuition increased from 08/09 to 09/10 at about 5% on average for private schools, also increasing total cost at record levels at each program. Here are the top 10.

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

A recent ADA salary survey for practicing dentists showed that owner dentists average income goes up 2-3% every year, to $206k/yr in 2007. So maybe it's still worth to get into this profession.

With the direction out country is going, what is to prevent the government from calling this an 'unsustainable crisis' and make tuition free for everybody who can't afford it?

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

i dont think you can consider UOP to be 96K a year...they provide in 3 years what everyone else provides in 4. so you if you crunch the numbers, it comes out to be 72k a year in comparison to all the other schools - the only difference is that your loans will be taken out over a 3 year period as compared to a 4 year period. this is better in a sense then a school that charges 72k a year for 4 years because:
1. you will be out a year sooner and can make money for that 1 year that you would otherwise be in school at that other school
2. your unsubsidized interest only accrues for 3, instead of 4 years.

the downside to this though, is that you will max out on stafford unsibsidized (6.8% fixed) at 38xxx a year and you will have to take out GradPlus (8.5% fixed) for the rest. so i guess the interest will balance itself out for the most part - but you will still be out of school a year earlier and making money for that year! although you do have to sacrifice working your @$$ off for those 3 years but then again you will be working hard anywhere you go so in the end...IMO...UOP is def worth it FINANCIALLY. :) i mean unless you are reallyyy looking for the IVY name on your resume or have the option of a MUCH cheaper state school.

With the direction out country is going, what is to prevent the government from calling this an 'unsustainable crisis' and make tuition free for everybody who can't afford it?

That will happen to medical schools before dental. We are pretty far down the list of importance to the government.

the downside to this though, is that you will max out on stafford unsibsidized (6.8% fixed) at 38xxx a year and you will have to take out GradPlus (8.5% fixed) for the rest. so i guess the interest will balance itself out for the most part - but you will still be out of school a year earlier and making money for that year! although you do have to sacrifice working your @$$ off for those 3 years but then again you will be working hard anywhere you go so in the end...IMO...UOP is def worth it FINANCIALLY. :) i mean unless you are reallyyy looking for the IVY name on your resume or have the option of a MUCH cheaper state school.

Actually at UoP we get the full 4 years worth of Stafford Unsubsidized and Subsidized loans. :thumbup:

Some of my patients drive 50-100k cars and are on medicaid. Yet, medicaid is punishing dentists with low reimbursements and tough laws for simple billing issues, while a new healthcare reform potentially invites more corruption into the system to people who shouldn't be covered. That's a real "unsustainable crisis".

Education however is simply a supply and demand system. As long as there is demand to enter dentistry, then tuition could soar to whatever the market dictates. The government can only do what they have always been good at; loan forgiveness programs, NHSC and military scholarships, funding state schools more to lower tuition, etc.

Actually at UoP we get the full 4 years worth of Stafford Unsubsidized and Subsidized loans. :thumbup:

oh wow i didn't know this! so whats the annual limit? because elsewhere is 32xxx unsub plus 8500 sub...which is nowhere close to enough for a year at uop.

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

Damn! I didn't believe you at first, but then I looked it up:
http://dentistry.usc.edu/doctoral.aspx?id=912
The first year is $101,974! (Then it drops significantly) But still, you'd be paying back well over 400k with interest.

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

actually the cost of tuition didn't go up much for Temple, just a mere couple hundred bucks at the most. the reason the COA went up is because the cost of living went up. you can easily opt not to take $24-26k in living a year.

oh wow i didn't know this! so whats the annual limit? because elsewhere is 32xxx unsub plus 8500 sub...which is nowhere close to enough for a year at uop.

You get the rest in Grad Plus loans, which have the same terms as Stafford Unsub but with an 8.5% interest rate.

The "annual limit" is a "Nine monthual limit" at UoP however, as mentioned above.

Damn! I didn't believe you at first, but then I looked it up:
http://dentistry.usc.edu/doctoral.aspx?id=912
The first year is $101,974! (Then it drops significantly) But still, you'd be paying back well over 400k with interest.

The actual cost of living in New York City with tuition is going to be higher at NYU. USC inflates their cost of living significantly but that's not say some people request more money over the 101K on the link.

There are actually a handful of students on scholarship at USC. I'm not 100% sure but there is at least 1 person on a 100% full ride, some with half tuition scholarships and a few with 1/4 - lucky bastards!
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

Wow, it's nice to be going to a Canadian school. My tuition is ~$30 000 CDN/year.

4. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

The top five schools gets bashed for being expensive but you may also want to add ASDOH and Midwestern to the list as they are not well publicized for being expensive.

First year at ASDOH $91,842 http://www.atsu.edu/financial_aid/asdoh/dmd/tuition_budget.htm

First year at Midwestern $92,260 & 4 year cost at $388,846! http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Financial Aid documents/DENTAL APPLICANT INTERVIEW 1011.pdf

The top five schools gets bashed for being expensive but you may also want to add ASDOH and Midwestern to the list as they are not well publicized for being expensive.

First year at ASDOH $91,842 http://www.atsu.edu/financial_aid/asdoh/dmd/tuition_budget.htm

First year at Midwestern $92,260 & 4 year cost at $388,846! http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Financial Aid documents/DENTAL APPLICANT INTERVIEW 1011.pdf
Interesting.

There are few more private schools opening up over the next few years, I expect most of them to be in the high tuition club.

4. Midwestern (new program) - $92k/yr
4. ASDOH up 4.3% to $92k/yr
6. BU up 5.5% to $88k/yr
7. UPenn up 5% to $87k/yr
7. Tufts up 4.6% to $87k/yr
9. Temple up 4.9% to $86k/yr
10. Nova up 4% to $82k/yr

So I got into USC and only USC and I'm going to go, but any more thoughts on this?