When is the criminal record check due?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scoot3r

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still debating which school to pick, and only one of them requires the criminal record check. I was wondering when the criminal record is due, because I wanted to make my choice before paying for the criminal record check (in case I don't need it).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think all schools will eventually require you to get a criminal background check. You're going to be left alone with patients (some of them being minors). You probably want to make sure you are in the clear regardless of what school you choose or, at the very least, discuss it with the schools you are picking between.

I'm willing to get the criminal record check, but since not all schools use the Application Station service, I was trying to save some money in case I choose a school that doesn't use the service. Sorry for not making that clear earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ADEA website states "Certiphi Screening sends each accepted student three e-mails regarding the criminal background check: the first e-mail is sent as soon as we are notified of your acceptance by ADEA AADSAS; if you have not logged into our system and authorized the background check after 10 days, you receive a second e-mail reminding you to do so; and if you still have not logged in after 20 days, a third e-mail reminder is sent. If you opt to attend a non-participatingschool, please disregard all three e-mails, as they apply only tostudents accepted to participating ADEA AADSAS schools."

I am not sure how long they give you after the third email is sent, but you have until at least December 24th, since Certiphi sent the first email on December 4th. I am almost positive that you have longer though because I highly doubt they make you do it the same day that the third email is sent.

huh .. I got accepted to UDM, portal is changed to offer made, but I haven't received a single email..?

The ADEA website states "Certiphi Screening sends each accepted student three e-mails regarding the criminal background check: the first e-mail is sent as soon as we are notified of your acceptance by ADEA AADSAS; if you have not logged into our system and authorized the background check after 10 days, you receive a second e-mail reminding you to do so; and if you still have not logged in after 20 days, a third e-mail reminder is sent. If you opt to attend a non-participatingschool, please disregard all three e-mails, as they apply only tostudents accepted to participating ADEA AADSAS schools."

I am not sure how long they give you after the third email is sent, but you have until at least December 24th, since Certiphi sent the first email on December 4th. I am almost positive that you have longer though because I highly doubt they make you do it the same day that the third email is sent.

Certiphi Screening sent me an email to use their services, however I was not accepted to any of my schools yet. I believe your information is partly wrong.

edit*

"Please Note: You will only be required to submit to a CBC if you are conditionally accepted by a school participating in the ADEA-facilitated CBC program. Requesting a copy of your report at your own expense is optional."

That is quoted from the ADEA's website, so then they are wrong.

wait a sec.....I just logged in. I need to pay $250!?!?!? Seriously??!

Mine was $149 for Certiphi. But Temple for example doesnt participate in Certiphi screening, they use a $10 search through the PA state police

Mine said up to a max of $150 for certphi however I was only charged $54. I just finished my screening and now sending it off to dental schools. I don't know when the dead line is but I wanted to get it done before the Jan 3rd.

I was charged 42 bucks in Massachusetts.

I was charged 42 bucks in Massachusetts.

Did you guys find this out at the 'checkout' or you looked at your credit card statements? Because mine said id be charged up to 150 also

I got an email receipt saying your payment of $xx.xx was received. Kind of bogus to not know what you're paying until you get your receipt.

Did you guys find this out at the 'checkout' or you looked at your credit card statements? Because mine said id be charged up to 150 also

my debit card charge was $150 but i got an email saying it would only charge $34 (california)
so will they reimburse my bank account?!?!!?

uh oh that sucks! you should call them! my email said I was charged $54 and then when I checked online they only charged 54..

my debit card charge was $150 but i got an email saying it would only charge $34 (california)
so will they reimburse my bank account?!?!!?

I'm sure it will just be a pending charge of $150 until they adjust it to $34.

Is my understanding correct that Schools automatically receive the results of the background check? I just want to be sure that I did not have to specify the schools personally. Thanks!

So no one really knows when the criminal check is due?
(Obviously before dental schools starts haha)