When is the good time to start applying? Heeelp!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocteurMarion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a (soon to be :D )28 y o non trad female working full time. I am slowly moving on with science classes and doing well so far completing a bachelors degree as well as my pre-req.
From what I know:
1. MCAT can only be taken twice/year (april + august)
2. You basically apply to med school 1 year in advance ( let's say: do AMCAS may/june 2006, get interviews, get accepted etc...and hopefully enter med school aug 2007)

I am thinking taking the MCAT in april and/or August 2006 so that I can start applying early and hopefully be accepted for 2007.
The problem is :
1. Will I have enough time to study for MCAT (since I will still be working full time + taking 2 science classes)?
2. Is that doable? I mean : working + studying for science classes + studying for MCAT + doing AMCAS, LOR, essays etc... :eek: ????
3. How will future med school see the fact that I am not done yet with all the classes for my bachelors ? (I will have like 6 classes left: advance science classes like genetic biochem etc...)

Would it be better to start all of that process once I graduated (prob spring 2007)and classes are over? I am kinda old and 1 year is really precious.

Any of your ideas are welcome! Especially those who went through that awful long process of applying! :p

Members don't see this ad.

Tranditional (straight-through) pre-meds apply between their Junior and Senior years of college, so don't worry about not having finished the degree. Most medical schools require completion of 90 credit hours to apply, though.

Only you know how well you've been able to handle the course load with working. You should treat the MCAT like another course -- spend time each day studying on it. Can you handle another course?

What are you doing during the summer? If you're not taking course work you might hit the MCAT studies hard from June through August and nail it before the semester starts. Of course you're application would be a little delayed, but is that worse than waiting another year?

I know where you're coming from. I'm also soon to be 28 and working full-time while doing all of this. Toss in the wife and kids and it can be nearly overwhelming at times. Good luck!

I have heard that it is better to take the MCAT in April, rather than in August, since a lot of pre-meds will start turning in applications in July, and the delay with the MCAT scores can hurt you in the process.

Only you can guage how much work load you can take on... and I know that the passing of each year is agonizing! But I think taking it nice and slow might result in better grades/better MCAT score, and that might work out much better for you in the long run.

I'm in the the same boat exactly as you. Personally I plan on finishing my degree in the quickest way possible and then taking that next year to study for the MCAT and get some research experience or some better clinical experience.

I just think the MCAT is way too important to try to work full-time go to school full-time and try to do well on. Good luck to you!--Ben