When is the last day to take Step 2 CK to join September 15 application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMNYC2020

Reaction score
Hi! The title says it all.

BG: I am already done w/ Step 1 & CS.

Also, it there an advantage applying as ECFMG certified vs. not ECFMG certified?
Appreciate any inputs. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! The title says it all.

BG: I am already done w/ Step 1 & CS.

Also, it there an advantage applying as ECFMG certified vs. not ECFMG certified?
Appreciate any inputs. Thank you!
As an IMG, you should have your 2CK score back before 9/15 when apps are available to programs. And yes, you pretty much have to be ECFMG certified to expect to get any interview offers.

As an IMG, you should have your 2CK score back before 9/15 when apps are available to programs. And yes, you pretty much have to be ECFMG certified to expect to get any interview offers.

It takes around 2 weeks for ECFMG certification, right?

So it means I should get my score by August 28... to be certified around Sept 11. oooh not much time left :/

Would it be a disadvantage not being certified on Sept 15 (but have all scores submitted)?

Hi all. Similar question. Advice needed.
US IMG, YOG 2018
Done with step 1 (24x), CS (Pass first attempt), no research work, 3 strong US LORS
Want to apply to the match this year but wont be able to give CK before 28th August. Expecting result around 18th/25th Sept.
Question: Better to send in late applications this year? Or on 9/15 next year for a chance at more interviews in IM?
Any input will be appreciated.

Hi all. Similar question. Advice needed.
US IMG, YOG 2018
Done with step 1 (24x), CS (Pass first attempt), no research work, 3 strong US LORS
Want to apply to the match this year but wont be able to give CK before 28th August. Expecting result around 18th/25th Sept.
Question: Better to send in late applications this year? Or on 9/15 next year for a chance at more interviews in IM?
Any input will be appreciated.
I would go ahead and aim for this year. Yes, you'll be a week or so late with your app, but that won't be the end of the world.... Certainly poor planning on your part, but not something you can't recover from.

Worst case scenario, you don't match this year and you apply next year on day 1.

To answer the inevitable follow up question, there's no "penalty" (other than money spent and a year wasted) in applying 2 years in a row. I promise that PDs will not remember your app from one year to the next (especially in IM where they receive hundreds to review) and you'll have to explain your gap year one way or another.

Reactions: 1 user
No that is not correct...you can only get Ecfmg certification after you have graduated...Every 4th year I/FMG would be at a disadvantage off Ecfmg certification was necessary...you just need to have all the passing scores in...the reason is that I/FMGs are not able to participate in the match if they are not verified, meaning passed 1,ck,cs.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go ahead and aim for this year. Yes, you'll be a week or so late with your app, but that won't be the end of the world.... Certainly poor planning on your part, but not something you can't recover from.

Worst case scenario, you don't match this year and you apply next year on day 1.

To answer the inevitable follow up question, there's no "penalty" (other than money spent and a year wasted) in applying 2 years in a row. I promise that PDs will not remember your app from one year to the next (especially in IM where they receive hundreds to review) and you'll have to explain your gap year one way or another.
No that is not correct...you can only get Ecfmg certification after you have graduated...Every 4th year I/FMG would be at a disadvantage off Ecfmg certification was necessary...you just need to have all the passing scores in...the reason is that I/FMGs are not able to participate in the match if they are not verified, meaning passed 1,ck,cs.

Okay thank you.
Last thing. Should I send in applications after i get the ECFMG certificate or right after getting CK result?